20 | brothers

"People go but how they left always stays"

Friday - 6:11pm

The week passed without throwing any more pebbles in the water of life, a full, redemptive week after which lay a strong weekend yet intact. It had been physically draining, to say the least, mostly because Hemayal had resumed work after almost two weeks. The work piled up, the patients lined up but she wasn't complaining.

Oh, no she wasn't.

The days could drain all her physical energy until nothing remained and she still wouldn't complain - not once. The only time a spectator would see a cry of protest leave her lips would be when the seconds nagged at her emotional energy and prove to be draining - not physically but emotionally.

And fortunately, the prior week provided her with all the mental recovery that she desperately needed. No Ibrahim Yazdani trespassed in her private life; no ghosts of the past followed her and certainly no sadness dared to close in on her. Although the hollowness inside her had come to become permanence, she never let it overpower her, fighting her demons until a smile forced its way upon her lips, by hook or by crook.

Today, the weather was unusually warm, breaking the spell of dense coldness that had been prevalent for the past few weeks now. Enjoying a little stroll in the park wouldn't have hurt her; instead she knew that it would offer her all the peace and tranquility she yearned for so now, the trees and the flowers saw a woman in her mid-twenties dressed casually in a kurta pajama moving leisurely on the lush grass. She had made no attempt whatsoever to direct her path towards the jogging track; today was the day meant for calm strolls and peaceful walks.

"Hemayal?" She was lost in her thoughts when an unknown voice came from behind her, all but stopping her actions before a frown settled between her brows - Allah, she did not want to meet anyone right now.

Turning only her head around, Hemayal saw a tall man entering her direct vision and the frown only deepened. The man was dressed neatly in jeans and t-shirt but both were creased, all but indicating that he had covered a long distance before he arrived at his destination that happened to be Hemayal. Too bad, however, that the woman didn't recognize him at first glance. Maybe she was too occupied in her tranquil thoughts and was not willing to come out of them but she didn't recognize this man.

"Yes?" Hemayal turned, now completely and regarded him with an unsure gaze.

"You didn't recognize me?" The man now warmly smiled at her and Hemayal drew a deep breath because the realities of this man just crashed on her.

The voice, the smile, the gaze, and the features - oh, she knew this man all right.

"Mustafa, what are you doing here?" Hemayal sighed as the evening sun descended behind her, her face in the dark but still so beautiful.

"I came from a land very far away from here, Hemayal Khakwani, and this is the first thing you ask me?" Mustafa smiled without any trouble and Hemayal could not help but think how lucky the man was - the smiles and laughs didn't seem to come to him with much difficulty; he didn't have to force them on his face.

"I don't remember asking you to come here," Hemayal shrugged her shoulders, fighting all the instincts in her to behave kindly with the man. "And besides, Gujranwala isn't that far away anyway."

"Oh, it is alright when you are running solely on caffeine." Mustafa reduced his gaze to a glare and Hemayal knew it was meant in good humor, thus choosing to let it slide.

"Then again, when did I ever ask you to bless my soul with this unannounced visit?" Hemayal asked, turning her head to a side as she regarded the man who reminded her so much of his brother.