Chapter 4

Disclaimer: Not BBC, Johnny Capps, Julian Murphy.

::

Chapter 4

::

"Merlin!"

Merlin sprinted across the corridor and turned to Arthur's room, closing the double doors behind him. Thrusting he right hand forward, he panted, for good measure, "Ne un clyse!" [1]

The lock slid into place magically, leaving Merlin alone in the room.

In no time he began scouring every inch of the room, throwing out the contents of Arthur's drawers and cupboards. Gaius said the enchantment that was now taking hold of Arthur was magically linked to a precious stone or jewelry or any piece of fine accessories that Arthur might have worn these past few days. If he could destroy it, then the enchantment would break.

Which would prove to be a very laborious task, considering how many silvers and golds and other precious metals Arthur actually have.

Merlin pulled out every single drawer in the room and poured its content on the floor, sending papers, rings, fancy daggers, and adorned ceremonial pieces of armory skittering down the floor. Merlin ran his fingers over all of it, trying to feel any trace of magic. He couldn't exactly destroy every single one of them– Arthur would surely chop his head off the moment the enchantment break, and he didn't have time to destroy it all anyway.

None of the objects radiated magic.

There was a loud bang on the double doors, so loud that dust scattered up in the air from the hinges that were slowly cracking off the stone wall. Merlin continued to pull out more drawers and turn the contents of each cupboard inside out before a loud deafening sound of the double doors being ripped off its hinges rang on his ears. He managed to duck behind a table just in time, but even from where he was hiding he could still see the form of Arthur, standing on the opening, his shining blood red eyes magically found Merlin.

Merlin shakily got to his feet and staggered backward as Arthur marched ruthlessly towards his direction.

"Arthur, wake up," Merlin croaked, losing his voice to fear.

"Now, Merlin, no more running," the blonde before him hissed, his eyes burning with the reddest blood Merlin had ever seen. He smiled maliciously at Merlin, giving the latter an impression of a snake.

Merlin continued to stagger backward slowly. There was a slow ebbing in the air, tickling at his joints, emanating from the blonde, and Merlin knew the cursed stone was one of the accessories Arthur was wearing.

Arthur was advancing on him slowly, his eyes not leaving Merlin's, intimidating him, and Merlin used the moment to quietly sneak a vase.

Merlin mustered all of his strength to smack the vase hard against Arthur's temple, hoping the latter would topple down unconscious, but Arthur merely straightened his neck back with inhuman resilience and continued to march towards Merlin.

"Enough of this child's play," he hissed, pinning the brunet against the wall on the neck with the sheer strength of his grip. Merlin choked.

"Arthur, please," he wheezed, tears welling on his eyes as he began to panic. Arthur's grip was inhumanly strong and now he was pushing Merlin upwards that the brunet's feet left the ground, wheezing for air.

"Where is the Cup of Life?" Arthur barked, and there was an almost animalistic growl that laced his voice. He tightened his grip on Merlin's windpipe, causing the latter to claw helplessly at Arthur's arm.