Lessons Learned

"I'm not doing it." I cross my arms over my abdomen.

     "Come on, it'll be fun." Hiccup smiles like it's going to change my mind.

     "Has anybody ever told you you're crazy?"

     "Only you and Astrid."

     "We didn't mean it as a compliment."

     "I don't see what's crazy."

     "Hiccup..." I sigh to calm myself down. "You want me to ride Vidar."

     "You were all for the idea when I first brought it up."

     "Because I didn't think beyond me protecting the poor thing. Dad will kill us if he ever found out."

     "Well, it's either the dragons or Dad. Which would you prefer?"

     Wow, this boy really frustrates me.

     I groan loudly, sounding like a dragon myself, and slip on a spare apron. I quickly tie my (very) long strawberry blonde hair into a high ponytail, showing Hiccup that I'm ready to make a saddle for Vidar. "Take it away, Haddock."

     Vidar seems gentle. He's very calm for his species. He shouldn't be as friendly as he is. There is zero room for a saddle, so it looks like I'll have to situation myself between his spikes along his back. I suppose I could ride on his neck, but I will have to be incredibly small and skinny to fit on there.

     "This will be fun, eh, boy?" I glance over his giant body to see Hiccup still chasing Toothless with his saddle, with Toothless thinking it's a game. "When those two finally decide to stop playing."

     We watch them for a while, amusement soon turning into boredom. This might take a while.

     I shouldn't have let Hiccup persuade me into flying. I think I've discovered a new fear of heights. If Vidar is as cheeky as Toothless is when he's in the air, I am never returning to the cover after today.

     "You're doing great, Beth!" Hiccup gives us a thumps up as he zooms past with Toothless, a rope in his hand to control the tail-fin. I decide to relax a bit to try to enjoy the experience not everyone gets to witness. Toothless suddenly darts left, causing Hiccup to fall into the lake. I try to guide Vidar down towards him but we're stuck circling the cove's walls.

     "We have a situation over here, boys!" I chuckle nervously, but it turns into a genuine laugh as Hiccup's own laughter echoes around us.

     While my brother has found a solution to his problem, I'm still figuring out a solution on how to be Vidar's eyes. I've been scanning the page about Deathgrippers in the Book of Dragons for some time and I'm not even taking in any of the information anymore. Hiccup drew a quick sketch of Vidar for me in his journal so I have that to stare at as well.

     Wait a second...

     Here goes nothing.

     "It works!" I cheer to Vidar. I didn't need to add anything onto the saddle; his armour scales on his back are like a navigation system for him. It makes it easier for him to fly as freely as he wants to.

     "Look out!" Hiccup and Toothless come knocking into us, bringing us down with them into a field of tall grass. Vidar and Toothless roll around in it like it's the best thing ever since sheep came into existence.

     Are all dragons like this?

     More Vikings gather each day to watch the dragon training. It's like the town had to see Gobber's questionable teaching skills for themselves.