Chapter Fourteen

"I don't get it," I was frustrated. "Why now? Why here?"

He remained silent, shrugging his shoulders. For once, Tyler Lockwood was speechless, and I was the one who wanted to scream and shout. I was furious. It wasn't bad enough with all the shit I was dealing with, but now Tyler wants to interfere? And for what? It's not like he was willing to answer me at the moment. It was as if he has forgotten how to speak, and that was so unlike him -Tyler Lockwood was the cocky-type who had everything to say.

Maybe because he thought he claimed victory in some way when I asked Paul to stay behind and wait. I only begged Paul because I knew it wasn't Paul's wolf that was losing it. I needed to assure him that I needed to talk to Tyler, that I needed to get things straight with him. Especially figuring things out on my own. I didn't exactly tell Paul that we're together because I wasn't entirely sure if we were.

"Say something!" I growled at him.

"I don't know what to say!" he replied.

"Anything! Just anything!"

"Why him?" He turned to glare at Paul from a distance before looking back at me.

I didn't expect that.

I looked back at Paul, trying to find reasoning. It was never great in the beginning, and the imprint he had on me didn't accurately send him chasing after me, but he did admit something -his truce.

There was some appreciation in the beginning that he tried to ignore. He didn't hide anything. He didn't play the same games Tyler always had.

"Because with me, he didn't have me playing the crying game." I shrugged, staring at Paul with a half-smile. "Sure he might have been an asshole in the beginning, but so were you. But he told me the truth and told me the one thing you couldn't."

"I've always loved you, Brandon." He cried out, moving closer, "I may have been a coward to show it, but I needed proof that you would never leave me. But you did."

"I left?" I exclaimed, "are you kidding me? The entire time I tried to break down those walls, you pushed me away. You made me feel unwanted; then you would toss me aside whenever I seemed to be getting closer. It hurt so damn much to see you easily replace me with someone, and every time, it was some random girl."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Listen to yourself!" I threw my arms up in frustration. "I shouldn't have had to tell you. You knew somewhere in your head that I would do anything for you, but you would never let me in. My heart could only take so much until I finally realized that fighting for you lost it's worth. So I did the only thing I could think of; I left."

"By faking your death?" His eyes were tearing, "you have no idea how I felt after that, Brandon. For once in my life, I thought I lost my reason for existing. I hated the world and everyone in it because I couldn't have or be with the one person who loved me. I swore from then on that if I couldn't resurrect you like Bonnie had promised most of us, I'd gladly join you."

"So my death was the only thing that made you realize?" I looked at him with disgust. "I had to leave for you to realize what you lost? Would we still be here if I decided to stay? I doubt it. I guarantee that I'd still be stuck as some sidekick if I stayed."

"I just needed time Brandon." He grabbed my hand before I pulled away.

"Time was all you had Tyler," I replied in a shaky tone. "I could have waited for years, but I just wasn't strong enough to keep putting the pieces back together every time. What we had was toxic."

"You don't believe that." He argued. "You knew that I love you."

"But here's the thing Tyler." I turned to him, "I couldn't wait for you to admit it. It's too late."