Chapter Two

The grief was heavy.

Something I had grown familiar too -but this was permanent. Sometimes bringing someone back from the other side had a great purpose, but in situations like this, I've come to learn that people needed to go peacefully.

Besides, our family has played with death more than we should have, and Bonnie and I were proof of it.

Yet I felt pity for the family as I watched them say goodbye to the young woman. Tears were shed, and the pain was visible. Out of respects, I remained in the background in silence, waiting to see if I was needed in any way. I even found myself crying a few tears as I watched everyone grieve in their own ways.

It had a great effect on Jacob and his family.

I didn't have to feel the emotions to know that it hurt like hell; especially for the boy, they called Paul. He reminded me so much of Tyler. He only let a few tears fall, but I could see that he wanted to scream at the world. He was mad at the world –that much I could tell, and I couldn't really blame him.

According to those who knew the family, the man was madly in love with the woman, and she was the only one who could make things a bit better for him.

And she wasn't there to hold him and tell him that things would be okay.

I wondered if things would be okay for him.

I know how it feels to be alone.

It's like a thousand words were left unspoken. Some things we wish we could say are now kept words, and if they were spoken, you could never be sure if they were heard. I call them crying games -tears that flow without a path to follow, purposely carrying the agony and sinking back through your skin like recycled toxic wastes. Never leaving unless someone is there to wipe them away.

"You can go home now Brandon." Aunt Tiffany whispered into my ear as she gave me a hug. "I'm sure that everything will be fine now."

"Alright." I wiped the tear from my cheek. "I'll see you at home, let me know if you need me."

I knew most people hadn't known me yet, so I didn't really want to overstay my welcome. As I snuck through the crowd, some people had noticed me. Even though it was awkward for me, I knew they'd be curious in some way. It sure did feel good to get out of there though.

To be honest, it was more than I could handle.

Emotions were always too fresh with me. I felt like an empath sometimes, but that was kind of being a part of who I was. Sometimes my spells were based on emotions. If they were strong, they gave the spells the energy they needed, especially if they were my own. I guess that's why it was easy for me to put Klaus away because I burdened so much hatred for him. I wanted him to be the one too, but it would have never worked in the beginning, especially after he snapped my neck out of vengeance. I wouldn't give him a chance to apologize even if he tried.

I found myself walking in the opposite direction of the Call's house. I was walking towards the beach I believe, or so; I began following the trail that seems to lead further into the forest. Maybe this is what I really needed to get in touch with my spirit, my inner being, and my magic. The elements would find some way for me to call on something. I didn't like being helpless.

The scenery was beautiful. The ocean clashed with the pillar cliffs that stuck out further out to the beach. The trees swayed as if they were dancing with the waves to the wind blowing and the birds cawing in the distance. I could feel the mist fall onto my cheek as I walked further up toward the top of the trail.

I followed it longer than I had planned, and it seemed that there were stops where people would meet and eat. There were homemade picnic tables at a few stops, but I thought it was a bit ridiculous to have a picnic right at the edge of the cliffs; it didn't seem like a place where you'd bring children.