epilogue

The sound of life is the fall of hundreds of footsteps in a corridor

The sound of life is the fall of hundreds of footsteps in a corridor. It's the murmured phrases behind closed doors, the spurring cry of a motto from a stage in a city square, it's the secrets in one's head, the scream of a tortured soul, the laughter of a carefree one. The sound of life is the whirr of a drone overhead and the milling about of crowds and the tapping of a single person's fingers against a tabletop.

There is a man, who was once a boy, who is no longer drawn to it as he was.

There is a girl who no longer understands it as she did.

A saviour watches it, listens to it, perched above it all.

And there are countless people trying to make sense of it, just as there are countless others trying to eliminate it.

A city rises like a shard of glass from the ruins of an old one, beautiful and brilliant and golden in the sun. It pulsates like a stereo with the sound of life. It glows with it, although there is nobody to listen to it within hundreds of miles.

The tapping fingers belong to a commander far, far away, and who, within due course, will determine the fate of the world; and all those who live in it. Whether his intentions are bad, however, one shall never know until it is too late.

Tap, tap, tap. 

Tap, tap, tap.

And across the world, thousands of thoughts whizz through the air, and they, too, contribute notes to the sound of life that nobody else hears.

_____________________

END OF BOOK ONE

A/N: read the next chapter!! much love to all of you <3