o32

vance

vance

Phase 3 has begun.

It leaves the offices beneath our meeting room half-empty, as groups of tested units are taken and sent to the government and security sector of the bureau for a series of lengthy procedures. Those who test negative for the serum's effects are admitted to a specialised ward in the medical bureau to be 'fixed'. Nobody knows quite what happens there- but we know, of course. Discontinued genetic experiments, neuroscientists manipulations and brain alterations. Most don't come back, but everyone pretends not to notice.

For the greater good, we've been told. For the greater good.

Adamík is slowly becoming suspicious of me; he throws me looks, asks me too many questions, remains distant. The warmth of our friendship is gradually dissipating, and it bothers me immensely. I need him at my side. He comes to me every morning still with coffee and news on how the subjects of Phase 2 are processing, and his loyalty to everything around himself is almost troubling. Loyalty, trust, - trust in the system- it's all important and good. I know it has to be so, and yet... Are we perhaps exerting too much control?

"There is no such thing as too much, Vance. There is only control and the less knowledgeable and fortunate."

It's something my father would say.

As of now, the statistics of Phase 2 have proven to be relatively successful- but the burning question remains.

"What do you think they do to them? The ones that don't pass the serum?" I feel idiotic for doing so, but I voice itinerary morning as I watch Adamík slide a cup of coffee towards me.

"They?" Is his immediate answer.

"We." I correct myself instantly. "We."
"I don't know." He leaves it at that and begins work, focusing on what is before him, and not on what could be. Three drone cameras have shut themselves down; seven have broken down, but there are tens of them out there. We are gold not to bother with sending something out to collect their metallic remains.

Our council meetings become fewer as Phase 3 of Project Chrysalis progresses, taking over schedules, and soon enough, my only human contact becomes Adamík. Slowly, his complaints spill out, his thoughts, his mind spills itself out to me, and I realise I no longer need to be afraid of his loyalty.

Deception is always a bad thing, I was told. Always. Always, unless it is a necessary evil conducted by a higher power.