Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

She took a few deep breaths, her exhales releasing a puff of mist. It is going to be okay, she told herself. Nothing to worry about. Samuel would surely be back in a few days, anyway. She could do it - she could face the day.

She did not have the heart to call her lady-in-waiting so early, so she struggled into her dress for the day by herself. It proved a very difficult task. By the time she was dressed, the first rays of the sun were beginning to shine, creating a golden sunrise.

Suzanna left her chambers. No harm in going for an early morning stroll before breakfast. The walk would clear her head, and she could use the time to pray and seek comfort. Suzanna walked through the nearly empty halls of the castle, nodding at the few guards who were finishing their late-night watch. She left the castle and walked slowly across the courtyard, not heading in any particular direction. Her heart led her to a clearing she knew was nearby - it would be a nice place to view the sunrise. Far away from any cliffs. She shivered as she remembered that terrifying moment as she hung over the edge of the cliff-face, holding on with every straining muscle in her body. Caden returning was bringing up her horrific memories once again.

Suzanna reached the clearing. It was high up, but the descent below was not steep - even so, she could easily avoid it. She walked forward and stared at the clouds. What was it about sunrises that seemed to bring hope? Perhaps it was the promise of a new day? Or maybe it was the assurance that life continued on, despite the struggles she faced. She watched the sunrise for a few minutes.

When she turned around she nearly fainted. Caden was seated nearby on an old tree log, watching her. He seemed very casual and undisturbed, though she knew his thoughts ran darker than he let on.

"Good morning," he said. "Won't you join me for a few minutes?"

She could hardly say no. Even if she ran, he would catch up to her in a matter of seconds - and she already knew he was much stronger than she. Her heart racing, she took a few nervous steps in his direction.

Had all her nightmares decided to come true at the same moment? She was alone with Caden, Samuel was far, far away, and no one knew where she was.

"Foolish! Foolish decision," she whispered to herself as she walked. She never should have left the castle unprotected.

Caden patted the log, inviting her to sit. She sat down obediently, surreptitiously leaning away from him.

"How did you sleep?" he asked innocently enough.

Well fine, then. If they were going to pretend to be friendly, she would play along. It was better than the awful fear and possible threats. Suzanna cleared her voice.

"Quite well, Wilson. And yourself? Did you find your chambers satisfactory?"

If there was an award for the best pretence, she was sure she would have won it in that moment. Despite the paralysing fear, she managed to offer him a smile.

"Satisfactory," he responded. "I did not see the knight Samuel last night," Caden continued nonchalantly.

Her breath caught in her throat. Did he know something about Samuel? What if he had been captured? Suzanna realised Caden was watching her reaction carefully. She licked her dry lips, fighting back the feeling of nausea.

"No, he is not here at the moment," she managed to say.

"Well where is he?" Caden asked, his pleasant tone still intact.

"The sun certainly is rising fast, perhaps we should go inside for breakfast," Suzanna tried, though she knew it was likely futile.

"Nonsense. We have at least an hour before breakfast is served for us. Why go inside and end our lovely little chat, my dear?"