Chapter Thirteen

Hey everyone, sorry it has been so long. I took some time off to regain inspiration and enjoy life! I so appreciate all the lovely, encouraging comments I have been receiving. When you guys say such lovely things it really does make my day!

Hope you enjoy this!
Xx Divine Romance
~~~

Two days later, Lorcheston came into view for travel-wearied William and Samuel. They had made the journey in good time, as Samuel had promised. They did not stop to eat or find a stable, instead they rode straight through the town. Samuel observed Lorcheston and took in his surroundings as they rode. Lorcheston looked to be a rougher area than he was used to.

The citizens looked worn out, grimy, and ready to fight should the need arise. Yes, these were people who had learned to defend themselves - both from each other and outside forces.

"Troublemakers?" William murmured quietly under his breath, clearly wondering what Samuel was thinking.

"No... I do not believe so. But dangerous." He did not doubt that the townsfolk would fight them if aggravated or threatened.

They continued to ride through the heart of civilization quietly. Determined to find Lady Adeline and put an end to Suzanna's distress, he lead his horse right up to the manor where Adeline would be living with her husband, the lord of Lorcheston. The manor was grand, as to be expected, and heavily guarded. It made Samuel wonder what form of trouble they had experienced before.

Samuel and William dismounted from their horses and walked up to two knights who were positioned outside the main entrance. They looked alert and intelligent but not hostile.

"Your business?" one knight asked as he scanned the two new foreigners.

"We are knights under the direct service of King Tristan. We must speak with Lady Adeline," Samuel answered. The two knights exchanged confused glances with each other, then looked back at Samuel and William.

"Who?"

"Lady Adeline, the wife of Lord Edric," Samuel repeated.

There was an awkward pause before the knights spoke again. "There is no Adeline here. Lord Edric is not married."

Samuel frowned. It did not make sense - why would the Duke have lied about the location of his sister?

"That is impossible," William stated from beside him. "The Duke of Adryrwen's sister does not live here?"

The knights shook their heads.

"We are sorry you came all this way, sirs. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to assist you," one knight eventually said after an awkward pause.

"Should we speak to Lord Edric?" William said under his breath so only Samuel could hear.

Samuel shook his head. "I need time to think and it is getting late. I say we find an inn, order some food, and examine our options."

"Very well," William answered.

"Thank you for your assistance," Samuel said to the two knights. They nodded in return.

William and Samuel left, leading their horses behind them.

"It just does not make sense... why would Duke Wilson lie about his sister?" William asked as they walked to the local town.

"Maybe there never was a sister," Samuel considered.

"It still does not explain why he would lie in the first place."

Samuel shrugged, too tired to try and understand the mystery. He was frustrated that he had come all the way to Lorcheston for no reason and unsettled that Suzanna would be disappointed.