Chapter Twenty

Rose found Suzanna still sulking in the stables. Suzanna was sure she looked as downcast as she felt. Rose hastened to her side.

"What is amiss?" she asked immediately.

"He had to leave," Suzanna sighed.

"Samuel?"

"Yes."

Rose shook her head. "What happened?"

"His sister is missing. He needs to go and find her - just as he should. And here I am, practically mourning over the separation. Surely this is not healthy," Suzanna replied with a bitter laugh.

Rose was quiet for a moment. "Do not be so distressed. I am sure he will return soon. You were able to speak to him, were you not?"

"I was. Everything is okay between us. I am merely worried."

Rose patted her back sympathetically. "He will return," she promised.

Suzanna straightened her shoulders and swallowed back her sorrow and guilt. "I cannot stay here feeling miserable. I must continue with my day and keep Samuel in my prayers."

"That's the spirit," Rose cheered. "There is plenty to do and distract yourself with."

Suzanna walked slowly from the stables, unable to shake the fear that Samuel was about to walk into a trap. She had to pray.

She said goodbye to Rose and quickly fled to the nearby church within the castle walls. It was here those who lived in the castle would attend church - to save the walk to the village every week. Suzanna pushed open the heavy wooden doors and peeked inside. She could not see the priest and she was glad to be alone.

The stained glass windows cast different colours into the building. Suzanna knelt by one of the pews and bowed her head.

What followed was a precious hour spent praying, hoping, and trusting. Suzanna left feeling far more light-hearted.

She spent the rest of the day with Emily, as she often did. The occasional stabs of worry for Samuel did not create too much discomfort. Each time her heart lurched was simply a reminder to pray for his safety and success. It was not so bad. She did not need Samuel in order to feel happy. At least, that is what she told herself.

Suzanna managed to keep up with her semi-positive attitude the next day. As the hours dragged past, however, her worry grew. Day two of being without Samuel left her feeling lonely and anxious. Rose was constantly observing her subtly, giving her the occasional sympathetic look.

By day three, Suzanna did not think she could handle it anymore, nor did she want to. She wished she could be with Samuel now - or at least be helping him somehow. She had no way to know if he was okay. She did not know if he was far away or moments away from coming home. The waiting, she had determined, was the worst part. She spent much of her time that day with Emily at the village home. The children asked her to tell them another story, but she was so distracted she found she could not think of anything to say.

Every time her heart ached, she prayed with all her might for Samuel's safety and quick return.

She was surprised when Adeline approached her. She still appeared reserved and without humour. Compassion touched Suzanna.

"I have not seen the knight, Samuel, recently. Is he well?" Adeline asked. Suzanna hesitated, then decided to share the truth.

"Samuel has gone searching for his sister, she is missing."