Chapter Twelve

Suzanna held onto Samuel's arm the entire walk back to the castle – partly because she needed the support, but mostly because she wanted to stay near him. Samuel did not question the action, nor did he seem to mind. In fact, he looked rather happy. Suzanna caught his eye and smiled up at him. She did not know how to put any of her emotions into words – how to tell him that she was grateful, that he made her feel safe, that she loved spending time with him. How to tell him that his constant, unending support and care was weaving affection into her heart.

She could not tell him any of this so she stayed quiet, content to simply walk with him. William had stayed behind in the village to ensure no more trouble broke out and to make sure Bain would be safe after deceiving Big Magnus.

Samuel and Suzanna were quiet the entire walk home. When they stopped in the castle courtyard, Suzanna thought he would say goodbye and leave. Instead, he looked directly in her eyes with a serious expression.

"We have to talk about what happened," he stated. Suzanna was sure not knowing what they had found had been burning away in him. He looked concerned – probably afraid that she would suffer another bout of panic – but the curiosity was evident in his eyes.

"We can talk in the library," Suzanna decided. Samuel agreed and followed her, staying a few paces behind. Suzanna hated that he could not walk with her through her own home. It was half because it would raise comments, and half because Samuel was a strict follower of propriety. Suzanna sighed and continued to walk with her head held high.

She reached the library and poked her head through the doorway. It was, surprisingly, empty, but still Suzanna walked down to one of the furthest ends of the room – just in case. Samuel followed willingly. Suzanna took a seat by one of the many tables and Samuel sat opposite her. They stared at each other for a moment, both waiting for the other to speak.

"Did Big Magnus reveal anything to you?" Samuel finally asked, clearly too curious to wait any longer. Suzanna had to smile. Her smile quickly faded, however, when she realised how little information she had really found.

"I am afraid he did not share much. He would not talk. He only gave one piece of information; he said 'the Duke has more family issues than I do.' We had to leave soon after that because of the riot."

Samuel looked thoughtful. "Family issues... what do you suppose that means?"

"He is fighting with a family member, perhaps?" Suzanna guessed.

"What do you know about his family?"

"We did not speak about his family much. His mother and father have passed away. He has a younger brother and sister, both who live away from him," Suzanna recalled. "I remember him saying he was closer to his sister than his brother."

"What is her name?"

"Adeline. She is married to a lord."

"Perhaps she could provide more information," Samuel thought aloud. "If she is close to him she may be able to shed some light on what the Duke is facing. Maybe he is in trouble. Adeline could be a good source."

Suzanna paused and looked up at him. "What are you saying?"

"If we want to find the answers then we need to seek them out. If we can locate his sister, then we can learn more about him. His family could be the key to all of this."

"I cannot just leave so suddenly. Besides, Father will never let me travel to visit someone I have not met before," Suzanna sighed.

"No, but the same cannot be said for me. I will go."