She hesitated for a moment before carefully turning her back towards me.

My breath caught in my throat as I gazed upon the many red lines that were on her back as well as the already existing scars.

"It was an old whip, so it didn't hurt as bad," She spoke up, "The newer ones always hurt the most."

I chewed on the inside of my bottom lip as I continued to look them over.

The cuts didn't look very deep, but they did still look painful.

They must have done this to her last night because the wounds had already scabbed over.

So why was she gone so long?

"Why did you do it?" I asked quietly.

Her eyes looked at the ground as she turned to face me.

"I don't know," She spoke not too confidently, "I guess I still felt guilty about what had happened with Xander and so I..." her voice quieted before it trailed off into noting.

She did that as a way of paying me back?

"What happened to me wasn't nearly as bad as what happened to you," I said.

I'd rather get fed from than whipped any day.

She shrugged.

"I swear it wasn't that bad. I'm probably more used to this sort of thing then you are so," She paused for a moment, "Just don't think about it too much. I'm okay, I promise."

She finished off her words with a very convincing smile.

I didn't know what to say.

She was just blowing this off like it was no big deal.

Maybe to her it really wasn't.

"Thank you." I finally spoke up.

Those words alone couldn't convey how grateful I was for what she had done.

Her eyes met with mine again, smiling with a look of relief.

"You're welcome."

~~~

Nico's POV:

I slammed the book shut, sliding it across the desk with the others.

None of them were giving me the answers I needed.

Well, I guess the answers that I wanted.

What I wanted was a do-able answer for me.

An answer that would let me keep Khloe with me forever, but I haven't been getting a whole lot of ways for that to happen.

I looked into any history of a human being turned to a vampire, but there were only two records of that happening.

And both happened by the human receiving the blood of a High Lord. From the High Lord himself.

Which seemed easy enough, but I don't know any Lord that would be anywhere near willing to do that.

And in order for me to become a Lord and take my father's place, I would need to find a wife.

A wife that I would have to marry in front of the entire city.

Marriage was a crucial part of becoming a Lord because not a single vampire can hold all of the power bestowed upon them the day they become one. That's why the wife was needed.

By becoming a Lord, many parts of us change, enhancing parts of us. Including changing our blood to hold more of our genetic build up.

And vampires mated for life... To divorce your wife as a Lord...