Chapter 17: A Day to be Thankful

Start from the beginning

*ding dong* I made my way downstairs because I heard the doorbell continuously ringing and it seemed no one was answering. As I reached the bottom of the stairs, I adjusted the legs of my jumpsuit, thinking maybe I should have put on a dress. These thick thighs that I inherited from my mom could be a bit unforgiving at times.

My mom used to be a heavyset woman but started to take her health more serious after having issues with her cholesterol. Despite the weight that shed lost, she still had all her womanly curves with thighs thick as molasses. I opened the door coming face to face with Papa Tate and his wife, Janice. I opened the door greeting them warmly. I side hugged Papa Tate because he held a box filled with aluminum pans. " Hey papa," I kissed him on the cheek, " Hey Mrs. Janice," I gave her a friendly wave, " You can take the food in the kitchen and set it up on the counter. The boys are in the back, we will be eating shortly," I said while walking behind them into the kitchen.

 The boys are in the back, we will be eating shortly," I said while walking behind them into the kitchen

" Everything looks wonderful Elise, you really outdid yourself," Mrs. Janice spoke sweetly.

" Thank you," I answered. I peered over at Ms. Vivian who was rolling her eyes while stirring the greens.

" Tate, Janice" Ms. Vivian quipped.

" Vivian," Janice through back over her shoulder following Papa Tate out onto the back patio.

" Un uh, don't start Vivian," Ava said pointing her wooden spoon at her, " not today," she continued shaking her head.

" Oh no worries," Ms. Vivian said slyly. I didn't know what was up with her, but I was not about to get into it. I was just grateful to have all my family here under one roof. Their love was infectious. Even amidst the apparent tension, you could feel the love.

*ding dong* I groaned inwardly. My mom and sister were here, Zach's parents and brother were here so that only left one person, well family to be at the door, Jhene. I don't understand why she needed to be here as if the children couldn't come by themselves as usual. She wanted to be extra this year. I was climbing down from the stool, when Vivan stopped me, " I'll get it," she said in a sing-song voice. Why the hell was she so cheery.

I got down from the stool and started organizing the food on the island in preparation for dinner. To be honest, I was hungry, and I got tired of sneaking samples here and there I needed a plate. Ms. Vivian came strolling in with a handsome Caramel Frappe following her. He seemed to glide in with his smooth skin, freshly trimmed goatee, and waves a girl could get seasick in. I lifted my eye quizzically at the beautiful stranger.

 I lifted my eye quizzically at the beautiful stranger