[03]

BLOSSOM
three | all i've been doing

          "WHO WOULD GIVE away a Pearl Jam album?" Cameron asked herself after pulling a vinyl album of the band Pearl Jam

          "WHO WOULD GIVE away a Pearl Jam album?" Cameron asked herself after pulling a vinyl album of the band Pearl Jam. Her fingers opened the slit to make sure the vinyl was inside. Most of the things she found in the donations boxes were things she wished to own. Although people don't use CDs or vinyl records anymore, she still found interests in older things and wanted to collect as much as possible.

          "Someone gave up Pearl Jam?" Bridgette gasped, whipping her head to the side.

          For the past hour, the two girls had been shuffling through their boxes of donated items. It took longer than expected since they would continuously get distracted by what had been given up. From time to time, they would ask each other questions about each other's lives or discuss their fascination with the things they found.

          Cameron learned several things about Bridgette that would've taken months to learn about another person. The girl was extremely sarcastic and she went so far with her comments that she almost got suspended from school, but the principal felt sorry for her, because of the lung disease, that she was dying so she was allowed to stay. Most of the jokes she made were about dying as a coping mechanism to push down the fact that her life expectancy was getting closer and closer every day. Her favorite color was yellow, her favorite animal was a dolphin (she hopes to swim with one), cheese sticks were her all-time favorite food, and she held a passion for taking care of animals.

          Occasionally, Jasper would poke his head in to check on the girls but didn't say a word, not wanting to disturb their bonding. Every now and then, giggles filled the silent air and it made him smile. Bridgette didn't have many friends, all of her peers just felt sorry for her and she hated that. So, she decided it would be best to not have any until the right one came along.

          "Okay so now that we have everything separated, we can start shelving the books," the pale girl said as she stood up from the chair. She groaned at the sudden pain that stung her bottom from sitting down too long. "You don't have to help if you don't want to, or have other things to do. I don't want to keep you from anything."

          Shaking her head, Cameron also stood up. "No, I want to help."

          For the next hour or two, they organized the used books into genres. It took Cameron a while to learn that they were supposed to be lined up by the author's last names which made Bridgette chuckle a few times. Eventually, she got the hang of it and they continued to talk about their lives.

          "I mean, I do have one friend. But what pisses me off is that no one even tries to get to know me. They see the tank and the tubes then immediately just ask about my disease," Bridgette complained, "they all look at me with such pity in their eyes and eventually, I stopped trying to make friends. Is that sad?"