| Chapter 34, Group B

|They're running, running, running again

|Song: Young god, Halsey

|||

Dawn's P.O.V.

After we'd slept through most of the day, Minho woke us up and urged us to pack everything up. Before we left Frypan made us the most delicious meal. The reason was not clear to me, maybe he just wanted us to have a bit of happiness in the middle of this all.

We set off just as the sun went down behind the horizon, making the dusty land look almost purple. The mountains slowly became jagged peaks of shadow, growing taller and taller as we walked. The land around us was all brown and ugly, lifeless. No one spoke much as we marched along. Lisa and Minho walked close to each other and I couldn't help but feel like something had changed between the two of them, and that made me happy. Newt walked a few steps to my right, never far away.

After another few hours of walking my legs started to get tired. But as the mountains got closer, the air cooled and it felt wonderful. The fresh air was welcoming after days of nothing but warm and dry air.

Suddenly Thomas, who walked before me, stopped walking making me walk right into him. 'What are you doing?' I groaned, rubbing my nose.
He gave a curt nod forward.
Everyone came to a halt and stared at the sight before us. Halfway between us and the edge of the mountains' slope a girl had seemingly appeared out of nowhere. And she was walking toward us at a brisk pace. In her hands she held a long shaft of wood with a large, nasty looking blade lashed to one end. It was Teresa.

Her face was hard as stone and it confused me. This was the second time she appeared before us out of nowhere only this time it felt different. And seeing the look on her face was enough for me to know she wasn't here to talk.
A sudden movement stopped Thomas from walking towards her.
I turned around and my eyes widened. Girls appeared, they too seemed to come out of completely nowhere. I turned in a slow circle. Within a few seconds we were surrounded by at least twenty girls. And they all held weapons, from knives and rusty swords to jagged machetes. Several girls had bows and arrows, and one of them had an arrow pointed right at me.

A small frustrated groan escaped my lips.

This had to be the Group B Janson and Aris had been talking about. Suddenly I remembered Thomas his tattoo and moved a bit closer to him, ready to fight for his life. We just got him back, I wasn't going to loose him again. I noticed Minho, Newt and Lisa do the same. Even Frypan had his hand on his knife.

The group of girls formed a complete circle around us, there was no way we could fight our way of this.

Minho seemed to have that figured out as well, because he took his leader role up again. 'What's this crap about, Teresa? Nice way to greet your long-lost buddies.'
At the mention of the name Teresa, Brenda spun and looked sharply at Thomas. He gave her a sad nod, making me wonder what happened between them.
Teresa didn't answer the question, an eerie silence swept across the group. Teresa walked forward again and stopped about ten feet from where we had built a human wall around Thomas.
'Teresa?' Newt asked. 'What the bloody-'
'Shut up,' she said, calm and with conviction which made it only more frightning. 'And if any of you makes a move the bows start shooting.'
I honestly didn't believe it. I never liked Teresa but I also never expected her to threaten us with weapons. Teresa brought her spear up in a fighting position and pushed Newt and Minho aside.
Brenda stepped before her. Neither of them said a word but the hatred between them was visible.
Teresa moved passed her, never dropping her icy glare and then she was in front of Thomas.
Both Lisa and I moved a bit closer to him, but her hatred glare made us stop moving.
What was going on here?