“Sort of,” I admitted, resting my head against his chest. “Not as bad though.”

He brought his lips close to my ear. I felt him smirk as he whispered, “You want to go for round three?”

Although my cheeks flushed at my dirty thoughts and his suggestion, I pushed him away playfully. “Oh no, sweetheart. After making me go through that embarrassing situation and playing along with it, you deserve nothing.”

“I’m sorry. Forgive me?” He whispered, nuzzling his head in the crook of my neck and hugging me tightly like a lost kid.

“No.”

He kissed my neck, causing a fire to lick at my belly. His lips brushed against my neck softly as he whispered once again. “Stop playing hard to –“

Leon feigned a gag. My eyes widened when I realized that Leon was still in our presence. He stood up from the Pier ground with a look of disgust.

Leon shook his head as he walked away from the both of us. “I really need to get a girlfriend.”

I laughed aloud when I realized the meaning behind his words. Leon always hung out with us and he was the only one who was single. Basically, he was a … fifth wheel.

“Finally,” Noah muttered when Leon was out of sight. “I knew that would get rid of him.

My eyebrows hitched upwards in incredulity. “So you only kissed me to get rid of Leon?”

“Yeah.” Noah shrugged with a smirk. “I needed some alone time with my girlfriend and I need to give you something.”

I watched in confusion as he stood up and kissed my forehead. “Give me something? Where are you going?”

“Stop asking questions. I’ll be back. Don’t move!” He yelled. I watched his retreating form until I couldn’t see him anymore.

I wondered about the many possible things he could give to me that would be too secretive to show in the presence of Leon. As the excitement bubbled up in me, I hardly realized that there was someone who now stood behind me.

The funny thing about many movies and novels is that the main character has this unexplainable premonition or strange gut feeling that something bad is about to happen. Tonight, I went out with my friends without a single feeling of threat or bad vibes. Now, I cursed the heavens that I lacked that quality. Why hadn’t I seen this coming?

My heart literally lodged itself into my throat. When I saw those familiar colored eyes, I jumped to my feet quickly in alert. Although he was a few feet away from me, my fingers shook and my resolve was quickly slipping at the mere presence of him.

I wasn’t supposed to see him for another two days. Why was he here?

He was wearing black – black jeans, black shoes, and a black jacket with the hood up. If it weren’t for his pale face, I wouldn’t have seen him standing there. He looked disheveled and sick. Dark circles surrounded his red eyes, chapped lips, and his once neat hair was now plastered to his forehead.