Diciannove

NOT EDITED*

________________________________________________

Every time I glanced at Noah, all I could think about was his lips on Chelsea.

It has been five days since then and I still couldn’t forget what I had seen in the hallway. I didn’t make it take over my life like most girls did when they saw the guy they had strong feelings for kiss their one and only arch nemesis. No. I refused to let it dominate my life.

However, I still felt overwhelming emotions such as melancholy, rejection, and betrayal. I was foolish to think that Noah and I were even friends. I had the bizarre mentality that just because he was aware of my dislike for Chelsea, he wouldn’t trust her too.

But who knew I was completely wrong?

I was incredibly puzzled. Was this the girl he talked to Gray about? Was she the one he liked? Didn’t he feel wrong kissing the girl his dead brother loved? There were so many things that didn’t make sense, but one thing was for sure: he kissed Chelsea Everheart and that is enough proof to tell me that my chances with him are zilch.

Why did I even think I would have a chance with him?

I would’ve ignored Noah if I could and moved on with my life, but it was hard to do so when our project due date was near. I did what I had to do, but kept my distance and made sure our conversations were cut short. I haven’t even attempted to move on searching for clues on Nick’s death, even when I got a second note in my book – in reply to my note concerning the sender – that read, “Just someone who wants to help you.”

There were so many things that frustrated me lately. Noah. This project. The notes in my psychology book. The frustrating questions left unanswered regarding Nick’s death.

Noah has noticed my distance and change of attitude, asking if I’m all right or if I’m sick. He doesn’t know I saw him eating Chelsea’s face, but I chose not to tell him. I wasn’t meant to see it anyways. Instead, I stayed numb around him and worked on our project on autopilot. Once this project was over, I was going to stay as far away as possible – even when I was babysitting Maia.

“And that’s our project!” Paige concluded after showing the class a dance and a video they made on feeding the homeless – although Callum was narcissistic, he did spend a lot of time giving to the less fortunate which surprised everyone in the class.

After the class applauded, they sat down in their seats next to me. Paige frowned in concern and squeezed my arm. Callum patted my back a couple of times. Callum still stuck around his “bro” of course, but chose to sit with us in class.

“Guys, I’m fine,” I groaned.

Callum snorted. “No, you’re not.”

“Gee, Cale,” Paige scolded, flicking his ear.

Ms. Brayer complimented Paige and Callum on their great job and looked at me. “Okay, next up: E and Noah.”