The next day it was time for the Kanto Grand Festival to begin. Ritchie sat in the seats with Brock, Tomo and Max. "Last time I was in the seats was when the pokemon league was held here, and now I'm here sitting for the grand festival" said Ritchie. "Well sit back and enjoy this" smiled Brock. While fireworks were going off, Lilian started to do the introductions. First she showed the grand prize, the Ribbon Cup. This Ribbon Cup had bigger, fancier handles than the one on the Ribbon Cup in Hoenn and had a red small ribbon in the middle. Then she showed off the second prize; the silver ribbon in a frame. Next she explained that the preliminary rounds were going to be held in two separate stadiums; there were 270 participants in the grand festival. The judges for the first stadium were of course Mr Suziko, Mr Contesta and Nurse Joy. But there was also a special guest Judge; Vivian from Hoenn had come to be a judge for the Kanto grand festival. Everyone was happy to see her. For the second stadium three other Nurse Joys were doing the judging, and a woman named Jessadia was to be the host.

Jessadia was really Jessie in disguise. Team Rocket had come to the grand festival to find work and Jessie wanted to be a TV announcer. James was the cameraman and Meowth and Wobbuffet were helpers. So Team Rocket weren't causing trouble here.

The rule for the preliminary round was the coordinators had to use one pokemon with only one move and only 64 trainers out of the 270 could pass. This was the same rule from the Hoenn Grand Festival. Soon the preliminary round was on. There was a Rapidash sprouting flames, a Goldeen jumping out of a pool, a Venasaur using frenzy plant, a Tropius using solar beam, a Pichu using thunderbolt, a Jigglypuff singing, a Tyrogue using karate chop on a pile of slates and a Salamence using flamethrower. Next was Ash's turn and he had his Scizor using hyper beam on the ground. Then it was May's turn and she had Combusken use sky uppercut on a frisbee. Solidad had a Lapras and it used sheer cold, creating a big pillar of ice. Next Drew's Masquerain created a gust of wind with silver wind. Last up was Harley. He was using his Banette and it used will o wisp while laughing like a phantom. Ash and May could see that Harley hadn't changed a bit.

After the preliminary round was over the final results came up. Ash, May, Drew, Harley and Solidad made it to the main stage with 59 competitors. Ash and May were happy to have made it past the preliminary rounds, but there was still the main preliminary round and battle rounds to get through.

That evening Ash and May were thanking Combusken and Scizor for getting them through the preliminary round. Ritchie said he found the pokemon contests very interesting, and couldn't wait to see more. Solidad was with the gang too and said she couldn't wait to see what else Ash and May would show in the grand festival. Unbeknown to Ash, Vigoroth and the two Aipoms had been watching him and the two Aipoms were interested by the contest.

Next day it was time for the main stage to begin; first up was the main preliminary round. The Nurse Joys were no longer judging, Mr Suziko, Mr Contesta, Nurse Joy and Vivian were being the judges with Lilian hosting. Jessie was just going to interview the coordinators back stage.

Drew was up first and he used his Absol. Absol started off with flash, and the light from the flash made Absol's fur glow. Then Absol used water pulse, creating a watery tornado. Last of all, Absol used razor wind cutting the watery tornado apart to sparkles. The audience loved it.

Harley was up next and he used his Octillery. Octillery blasted fire blast onto the stage, and then danced amidst the flames. Brock, Tomo and Max thought this was another typical performance of Harley. Ritchie found it strange himself.

Next up was Ash and he used his Magneton. First Magneton fired magnet bomb, which was an attack of light blue orbs, into the air. Then Magneton fired a tri attack at the magnet bomb orbs. The fire, electric and ice orbs collided with the magnet bomb orbs and they burst into red blue and yellow particles. Ritchie was impressed with Ash's coordinating skills.