"Even if I could go back to the surface, I'd know better then to go around telling people that merpeople exist. That would either put me in some mental institution or possibly in prison." Yes fine, I snapped at the Prince. But his guards weren't here, and neither was his Daddy; I could get mad all I wanted, as long as I didn't talk too loud.         

Taiven seemed taken aback; I'm full of surprises today aren't I? "You would not reveal are existence?"

"I already answered that you're Majesty." This time I might have sounded a little meaner then intended. But oddly enough, he didn't seem to mind.

Taiven sighed. "You can go back to the surface." The Prince said to me, seriously. "Around twenty feet before we breach the surface, we turn mortal." I got a tight squeeze in my stomach when he said we. Was he accepting that I was one of them? "And as long as we stay out of salted water, we stay mortal, once on land."

I looked down, and of course stared at my tail. Looking at it, it reminded me again how very real everything was around me. Now, Taiven was telling me that all I had to do was swim back up, and it'll all be gone. This was a whole new world, something every five to nine year old dreamed to live in or discover. Only I was eighteen, and this was far beyond a dream, because it was real and nothing beyond ones expectations. Still, I was once a kid, and I'm sure that the Me from back then would have been overjoyed to be have been turned into a mermaid. Was that kid still somewhere inside of me, buried deep down under the anger, the hate, the depression, and the loneliness?

After a while of starring down at my tail, I looked up at Taiven. He was being incredibly patient. "What do the markings on my tail mean?" I asked him. I know, out of all the questions going around in my head, I asks that one. But what can I say, I wanted to know. I had about nine signs on it, and I've seen some merpeople today who had none.

"Two of your markings indicate that you have been transformed into a mermaid." Taiven replied. "As for the other six, I do not know. The marking language is very old, older then you could possibly imagine, most of its language has been forgotten over the centuries and we are only left with the simple basics."

Well he wasn't much help. "What do yours mean?" I asked him. Taiven had about five signs on his tail.

Again, a smile played on Taiven's lips. Did he ever actually smile? Or was it just some fake almost smile that he always did to throw merfolk off? "Mine indicate my royal status and my place in my kingdom."

"All five of them?" I questioned without hesitation.

"Of course not Tarabelle; only three of them out of the five indicate my royalty. As for the other two, sadly I do not know." The prince answered.

"If you insist on using my name, can you at least call me Tara?" I couldn't help it; my name coming out of his mouth was driving me nuts.

"If that is your wish" Taiven said to me. "Now, I believe that the exit is right in front of us, if you wish to leave Tara." It was right there. He was literally letting me leave if I wanted too. But I didn't know if I did.

Finally after way too long, I made up my mind; I'm going to stay down here. I could leave whenever I wanted too, and right now I had no reason to. I haven't even started to learn anything, for all I know I might actually like it down here.

I swam slightly away from the exit, and looked at Taiven. "I'll stay your Majesty." I swam away from him, and started heading back to my room. "Thank you for the chat, I'll see you tomorrow." I made it sound as if we'd know each other for years, and I'm sure that rubbed him the wrong way.

"I suppose we shall." Was the last thing I heard Taiven say before I regained my room. 

Please let me know your thoughts in the comments! I would love to know what you think of this story!

-NocteLamia101

Enjoying my work so far? I encourage you to check out my other stories such as The Way to Neverland: A Peter Pan Story and The Walkers Saga! Available on my profile!