Chapter 8

All week I waited and yearned for Friday. I imagined over and over again what it would be like when Harry and I were reunited two weeks after our night together. I didn’t know what I expected. I half-wanted him to lift me off the ground and kiss me, but that seemed unlikely. Our text conversations were consistent now. They never ended nor bored me. We always found something to talk about and connect each other with. Our text conversations made me forget about the hurtful words my classmates called me and not feel it when people threw condoms and thongs at me in the hallway.

            When Friday arrived I was elated. I spent the entire night before picking out an outfit and packing my bag in case I stayed overnight. I decided to wear a pair of navy blue shorts with tights and pair of brown wedge heels with a white loose fitting blouse tank and a navy blue bandeau underneath accessorized with a brown purse that I wore diagonal across my shoulders and fell at my waist. I went with a natural look on my eye makeup but wore red lipstick. I curled my hair slightly and pinned the front back into a red bow. I didn’t have to hide the unusually nice outfit leaving the house because my mother didn’t look at me anymore. I walked for a bit and then saw a black SUV with a man standing by the side. I recognized the man as the security guard who pulled Harry away at the venue two weeks ago. As I approached he turned and faced me.

            “Your name?” he said with intimidation.

            “Regina...” he opened the door of the back seat allowing me to get in. The car ride was exceptionally awkward. Three hours of silence and loneliness with the man in the front seat. We arrived at a hotel and drove down a narrow alley way on the side. He escorted me in through the side entrance which led to a kitchen. I heard the chatter of girls from the lobby and knew I should avoid them. The security guard pulled me by the arm through the hotel restaurant and into an elevator, being invisible to the girls in the lobby. As I rode in the elevator I felt my heart flutter faster and faster as the floors got higher. I heard a ding and the elevator stopped with a jolt and the doors opened. I expected to see Harry waiting for me but instead I saw an empty hallway. The security guard led me down the corridor and into a hotel room.

            “Wait here, Harry will be up soon.” He left. By ‘be up soon’ I assumed he meant the boys were taking pictures with the girls in the lobby. I was sitting in a beautiful hotel suite that looked like something fit for a king. I expected the boys had just arrived in the hotel and have not had time to unpack. Several suitcases laid in row on the floor untouched. The mini-bar had not been ravished, the beds still neatly made, and the television still on the default channel that plays advertisement for sites in the city. I waited. I heard the door open and my heart jumped. Niall and Louis walked in laughing at something someone had said in the lobby.

            “Ey’ look who ‘et is,” Niall pointed.

            “love bite gone I see,” Louis commented.

            “Not for long,” Niall slapped Louis’ arm playfully and laughed. I smiled timidly at the joke. Zayn followed them.

            “Hey babe how ‘ya doin’?” He walked past me; I didn’t think he wanted an answer. Liam came next with Harry. I held my breath when I saw Harry. He looked taller and more handsome since the last time I saw him. His curls were charmingly tousled and his smile was bright and kind. I stood up and walked towards him. He threw his arms around me in the tender embrace as I buried my face in his shoulder. His cologne filled my nostrils and made my knees go weak.

            “Good to see you again,” he whispered in my ear. His voice was low and tired sounding. I couldn’t speak, I just nodded my heard as I moved back and looked into his eye. His green and my blue met. Neither of us was smiling, just staring. The tension broke with a series of joyful giggles from the two us, simply happy to see each. I shifted myself so I wasn’t standing in front Harry, but rather on the side of him, his arm around me.

            “Glad your here babe. You look beautiful,” he kissed my head.

            “I’m glad I’m here too.”

            “We have to go for some rehearsal and sound check over at the stadium. I assume you’ll be joining us.”

            “Yeah of course, I’d love to.” Harry pulled me by the hand and made his way across the room where he plopped himself on a sofa next to Liam, who was trying to solve a Rubik’s cube. I sat on Harry’s lap with my back facing the arm rest.

            “May I give it a go?” I asked Liam motioning to the cube. He handed it to me. I fiddled with it for a bit and was able to line up a row of the same color on all sides before giving up and handing it to Harry to try.

            “No thanks I’m not smart enough,” he shook his head.

            “That’s for sure,” said Zayn from the other side of the room. Everyone laughed. Harry put his hand on my knee and rubbed my leg laughing at Zayn’s joke.

            “Lemme try mate,” Niall grabbed the toy and attempted to solve it but instead reversed the work I had done and made the cube complete nonsense again.

            “Look what Ya’ done!” Louis took it and tried for himself. He made no progress.

            “I bet I can do it,” Harry smiled and took the cube from Louis. He began to peel the stickers off and place all the same colored ones on the same side.

            “You cheater!” I said taking it away from him and holding it high above his head.

            “No don’t stop him! He’s finally done something useful” Zayn took the cube away and continued to peel the stickers. Harry stood straight up to try to get the cube back, forcing me to fall onto the floor. Everybody, myself included, laughed as Harry frantically picked me up from the ground, also in a fit of laughter. I took a moment to admire the child-like charm of the situation, a group of people squabbling over a Rubik’s cube and laughing hysterically. This was the break from the intense drama at school that I needed. I felt like I had friends here and I felt a light hearted spirit erupt in the room.

            For the next hour or so the boys and I goofed and laughed with each other. But not before long, it was time for sound rehearsal. The boys went out the front of the hotel while I snuck through the kitchen again. When we arrived at the venue, all six of us went through the back. During their rehearsal, I was allowed to sit in the front row and watch, but come time of the actual concert, I waited backstage. As I watched backstage that night, I made the realization that Harry had not kissed me when we saw each other. I was perfectly happy with the heartfelt hug I received, I was just surprised.