Chapter 33

Thank you all for your continued support of this story. Your votes and comments mean so much to me. As a writer I am continuously growing in my craft and a part of that includes some hard lessons. As you read, you may notice a change. In previous chapters I used the word "Gypsy". I am formally apologizing as this is a derogatory term and hurtful to the various traveler peoples. For the duration of the story these characters shall be Romani. I am currently working my way backwards in the story and am unsure how long this will take. If you find any G-words that I missed, please let me know right away so I can correct it. I thank you for your understanding and again apologize for my error. (note: this paragraph will be repeated in future chapters to ensure all my readers have the opportunity to read this notice)

**************************************************************************

The entire building shook from the deafening roar that seemed to come from everywhere at once. It rattled down to the bone and caused Detective Daniela Byron to grasp the desk before her as she swayed from the sheer force of the menacing sound.

"What the hell was that?!" She snapped at the receptionist before her. Just seconds ago she had been challenging the woman – again – to defy her orders, a policewoman's orders. She would have done more, but her partner and newly revealed werewolf, Lord Delta Ethan Shaw, reminded her that this was not their "jurisdiction", so to speak. They were on Romani territory and needed to respect their rules, no matter how irritating they are.

But all she wanted was to find out why the meeting was taking so damn long. Leland and Jenny should have been back hours ago. It made her suspicious. And then that foreboding roar resounded, causing her police instincts to ring in alarm.

She eyed the woman sitting at the desk and was about to lay into her when Ethan interjected, "That was Leland. His wolf is back in full swing." There was a tremor to his voice, understandably, considering it was earlier in the day when he was nearly killed by the powerful Alpha male while trying to protect his mate, to protect her.

"Shit," both women said in unison.

Daniela spun on the receptionist, "You have to let us through. You need us to help your people. You have no idea what he's capable of." She shuddered at the memory, still feeling the piercing gaze of those eerie phosphorescent eyes, burning with unbridled hatred. And the sight of his long canines dripping with fresh blood, Ethan's blood, would be a nightmare that would remain with her forever. It was not something she ever wanted to experience again.

The other woman's mouth opened and paused as she took in the look in Daniela's eyes. Doubt began to creep into her countenance, and the Detective hoped the woman finally would listen to her. But then the elevator doors burst open with a horde of armed men pouring out into the waiting room. They didn't wait for permission or even look their way; they simply headed straight for the door the receptionist buzzed open. "Seems to me like we don't need your help," was her smug reply.

Ethan didn't wait for Daniela to react, he grabbed her by the arm and followed behind the men, ready to catch the door. A protest was about to escape the receptionist's mouth, but the glaring, glowing gaze of the Delta werewolf had her swallowing back her words in an instant.

As they passed through the doors, Daniella growled, "And why didn't you do that hours ago?"

His simple answer was, "We didn't need it hours ago."

His partner disagreed, but there was no time for discussing their differences in opinions. Another roar shook the building, followed by a crackling, snapping sound as long fractures rippled up the walls.

Ethan felt that one down to his core, causing his wolf to instinctively shrink in submission. He knew his Lord Alpha was powerful, but this was beyond anything he'd ever expected. He had no idea Leland was capable of literally bringing down buildings, which meant... The rumors about him are true! Ethan's realization only confirmed that this situation just went from bad to worse. If they didn't get Leland out of there NOW, the whole building would collapse and crush everyone within it.

Suddenly, not far ahead of them, there was an explosion of wood and drywall, followed by the sickening crunch of a tall Romani male slamming into the opposite wall. A hushed moment of silence fell upon them. Then, from the cloud of dust and debris, there he emerged – the dark wolf, the Lord Alpha, the black beast. A pair of cold, stormy blue, glowing eyes laid them all with a promise of death. Nothing would get in his way.

"Stand down!" Ethan shouted as ten guns were cocked and aimed at the beast. "Lie down and let him pass. He just wants to get to his Mate!"

"Fucker killed George!" One man shouted. "I'll never lie down before a werewolf!" Another snapped. All the Romani warriors agreed – they would not let Leland Moore live. He committed a cardinal sin, he attacked one of their own – and while sitting under their roof as their "guest". It was a pledge of war, and not one Romani would back down.

"Fuck!," Ethan growled. It was obvious that he and Daniela didn't have the time or manpower to subdue nearly a dozen armed men, especially when they had mere seconds to get out of the Lord Alpha's way before he killed them all. Instead, he swung a protesting Daniela up over his shoulder and ran!

Her objections didn't last long. Looking up, she witnessed what the Lord Alpha was truly capable of. A wall of Romani men stood as a blockade, firing shots in uneven beats. Beyond the men was black fur and fury with burning blue eyes and blood stained teeth. Energy rolled off of him in visible waves, pulsing and sparking with power, creating a translucent wall that blocked all bullets from reaching his hide. The beast didn't move. With the rise of one snarling lip, he sent a wave of raw power to the men, casting them backwards a good five feet at least. Not enough to hurt them, but enough to distract them from his impeding attack.

Growling through gnashing teeth, the wolf rushed forward. His supernatural power deflected every bullet, seemingly ricocheting off his dark hide as he moved like a demon.

He was a black blur, flying through the air, bouncing off walls – an uncatchable force determined to rip the men apart, one by one. Limbs went flying, necks bent in half, and the hallway was quickly painted with Romani blood. In minutes the black beast had slashed through each one. They never stood a chance.

Daniela barely muffled her horrified screams as Ethan dove around the corner. Her back slammed into the ground, removing her of all breath. Her mate's heavy weight covered over her and held her in place, but she wouldn't have moved anyway. Fear plastered her in one spot.

Eyes desperately locking onto each other, they both held their breaths as the enraged Alpha wolf burst into the room. The receptionist screamed. She tried to use what little supernatural power she had to keep the wolf away. A terrible mistake. There was no more Leland Moore, only the primal beast, only rage. NOTHING would stand between him and his Mate! In seconds her warm blood splashed over the couple on the ground. They made no sound.

The shattering of a nearby window told them they were finally alone, finally safe from the beast. But they still waited. Then the building swayed. It could no longer withstand the abuse Leland bore upon it.

"Time to go," Ethan said as he smoothly jumped to his feet with Daniela already in his arms. His feet flew across the blood-dampened floor. The walls quaked, the floor cracked. Daniela screamed. She may have shouted "Hurry!" but she wasn't sure. The broken window stood before them like a beacon in the dark. Shards of ceiling tile rained down upon them and the floor began to buckle. All around them the building cried out in pain.

In one final push, Ethan dove towards the opening, just as wooden beams went crashing down around them, wrapping them in a cloud of thick soot and ash.

Closing her eyes, Daniela prayed to whatever god or gods were out there. She wasn't ready to die. Not yet.

****************************************

Thank you all for your continued support.  Your votes and comments warm my heart.  I hope you continue to enjoy and share this story.

<3 ~Nikki Hudak~