Chapter 18

Just an fyi - this chapter is a bit longer and contains several "POVs". 

Enjoy :-)

~Nikki Hudak~

***************************************

This could not be more perfect! Collin smiled to himself as he disconnected the call. All of his efforts were paying off, and ahead of schedule, no less. Ever since the mutt barged his way into the Lycus world from the slums of England, Collin had wanted to be rid of him. Leland Moore was nothing but a rogue, unlike himself, who was raised in Lycus high-society. He knew his lineage going all the way back to the royal family, the first werewolves. What could Leland trace back? Nothing. He didn't even know who is father was, who was the more likely to have given the dog the werewolf gene, especially considering how his mother died. Had she been a carrier she most likely would still be alive.

Oh if only Leland would have died right along with her, Collin thought darkly. He had long embraced his animosity for the English wolf, which had consumed him ever since his existence became a matter of interest to the Council.

An involuntary growl tickled the back of his throat as he thought about how impressed the Elders were with the fast ascent Leland had made among the ranks. Once he became of age he had challenged each of his superiors in rapid succession to become the youngest wolf titled as a Lord Alpha. It was unheard of, and what more was the rumor of his remarkable ability. It has been said that all of his battles lasted less than five minutes and in only one of them, his first one, did Leland actually fight in. Somehow he managed to get all those Alphas to submit with just a look.

Ridiculous, Collin huffed. It was impossible. Had to be impossible, because if what they said was true, then it wouldn't be long before Leland went for his title. It was the next logical step up the hierarchical ladder. If he was in Leland's position it would have been his next move. Hence, why the Canadian wolf was plotting and planning. Leland may have the brawn to win his titles, but Collin had the cunning. If he would have relied on his muscle to get him anywhere, he would have found himself towards the bottom of the pack, not towards the top. Ultimately, in order to keep his position he had to out-think the English wolf. And it seemed he finally did.

Picking up the phone once again he just had one more call to make and Leland's world would come crumbling down. Collin couldn't wipe the smile off his face. All that was left for him to do was ensure his victory, and he felt he knew just how to do that. Chuckling at how marvelously cunning he was he couldn't help but silently praise himself. It was time to implement the final stage of his plan, time to bring Leland Moore to his knees. And thanks to his faithful spy he knew just where to hurt him.

*****************************************************

Her hands were itching to grab her phone, but she refrained. Why? Because while she wanted to call her best friend and bitch about a certain sex-god, she knew that instead she would have found a way to call said sex-god, and after ditching him for a second time it probably wasn't a wise idea to do that. Instead Liz nervously tapped her foot and picked at her nails. She kept her gaze out the cab window and watched reality whizz by, though to be honest she wasn't really paying attention. Her thoughts were preoccupied with a certain werewolf who couldn't seem to escape her thoughts. She knew she was doing the right thing, and yet... why was it she couldn't shake the feeling like she was going in the wrong direction?

Her insides twisted a tiny bit more each mile she traveled away from Leland. What is wrong with me? She questioned. Why couldn't she just get over the magnetic pull he had over her? He had to have some other magical abilities besides transforming into his furry form. It was the only logical, well semi-logical, explanation as to why she was feeling the way she did.