Chapter Eight: False Truths

Start from the beginning

"So good to see you, son," he said as he held a small lantern up to get a better look at me.

My approach slowed as something began to feel off. A strange sensation of being pulled forward tugged at my soul and it wasn't long before I realized the source was coming from Lorcan. "What are you doing?"

For a moment, his expression reflected his confusion. But soon clarity hit him. "Ah, I know what you're feeling. It is all right. I won't let you get absorbed. Kieran here has had enough practice around it to know it's possible to avoid."

From his satchel, he pulled out a small blue orb. The glow surrounding it cause a strange sense of calm to surround me. Like a moth to a flame, my feet began to guide me closer towards the object. As my hand reached to touch it, Kieran quickly ran in front to slap my hand away.

Before I could scold him for even touching me, he flinched back. "We will die."

Lorcan eyed him carefully but made no move to punish him. Instead, he turned his gaze upon me again. "With this, we can collect the lost souls of the Fade. I've already collected plenty from around here so Kieran can show you what needs to be done." He paused for a second before continuing, "Would you mind taking us to the demon door in this area?"

The orb continued to hold my attention and I barely registered Lorcan's question. That is, until he cleared his throat. "Uh, yes. Follow me," I stuttered.

Ripping my eyes away, I turned for them to follow. "What exactly is that used for?"

"I told you," he said, "To do what needs to be done."

His answer wasn't very satisfying. "You didn't answer my question."

"Perhaps. Maybe it is because I believe this is something that has to be seen to understand. Words alone would not suffice," he explained.

With only the sound of Lorcan's footsteps crunching the in the leaves, it was beginning to make me uncomfortable. Wanting a distraction, I held my hand up, watching it ignite. Behind me, there was a tiny gasp before Lorcan realized what I was doing.

"That is a first," he said in awe.

My eyebrows pulled together in confusion. "I thought you said the boy could start fires."

"Yes," he began, "But I've never seen him start a fire on himself before. Only on physical objects. I witnessed the fire you sent at that demons, but I didn't realize it was attached to you. This is astounding!"

The demon door was up ahead by the time he was finished with his praise. With my hand still lit, I pointed towards the door. "There it is."

The door was shut as it was not the night of their release. Lorcan approached the tree where it sat and placed his hand on it. He glanced down at Kieran who only nodded. Carefully, he set his lantern on the ground before turning to face Kieran again, orb in hand.

"You know what to do," he said.

Lorcan took a few steps back from the tree, holding the orb out in front of him. I stood to the side to watch. The boy stepped in between Lorcan and the doorway. As he did, I noticed his eyebrows furrow together in concentration. As his small hand reached towards the orb, the energy all around us began to shift. The pulling sensation that I had been feeling earlier was expelled, and replaced with the sensation of being pushed away.

The force seemed to affect Lorcan as well. It created a wind that shifted the trees and flailed his jacket about. As the wind picked up, the boy began to pull his hand away from the orb. The glow that had been inhabiting it, moved. It followed Kieran's hand as he began to rotate towards the doorway.