The jinn are accountable to God and subject to His commands and prohibitions. They will be called to account and will enter either Paradise or Hell.  The jinn will be present with humankind on the Day of Resurrection and God will address them both.

“O you assembly of jinn and humankind! “Did not there come to you Messengers from amongst you, reciting unto you My Verses and warning you of the meeting of this Day of yours?” They will say, “We bear witness against ourselves.” (Quran 6:130)

So far we have learned that supernatural beings do exist. We are not alone. They are creatures that live with us, yet apart from us.  Their existence offers an explanation for many strange and unsettling occurrences. We know that jinn are both good and evil, although the mischief makers and evildoers far outnumber the believers.

The concept of Shaytaan being a fallen angel is from the doctrines of Christianity, but according to Islam Shaytaan is a jinn, not an angel.  God speaks about Shaytaan a great deal in the Quran.

Angels don't have free will but Jinns and Human do.

Footnotes:
[1] Shirk – is the sin of idolatry or polytheism.  Islam teaches that there is One God, Alone, without partners, offspring or intermediaries.
[2] Ibn Aqeel Aakaam al Mirjaan fi Ahkaam al Jaan.  P7.
[3] Saheeh Muslim
[4] Aakaam al Jaan. 8.
[5] At Tabarani, Al Hakim & Al Bayhaqi

Who is Shaytaan?

Is Satan (Shaytaan) one of the jinn?[1]  Satan, Shaytaan, the devil, Iblees, the personification of evil, Lucifer,  is known by many names.  The Christians usually call him Satan; to Muslims he is known as Shaytaan.  He is first introduced to us in the story of Adam and Eve and although the Christian and Islamic traditions have much in common there are certain glaring differences.

The story of Adam and Eve is well known. Both the Quran and the traditions of Prophet Muhammad, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon him, in no way indicate that Satan came to Adam and Eve in the form of a snake or serpent. Nor do they indicate that Eve was the weaker of the two who tempted Adam to disobey God. The reality was that Adam and Eve had no experience of the whispering and ploys of -Satan and their dealings with him remain a vital lesson for all of humankind.

Satan became jealous of Adam and refused to obey the command of God to prostrate before him. God tells us of this in the Quran:

“ So the angels prostrated - all of them entirely. Except Iblees, he refused to be with those who prostrated. [ Allah ] said, O Iblees, what is [the matter] with you that you are not with those who prostrate?"
He said, "Never would I prostrate to a human whom You created out of clay from an altered black mud."
[ Allah ] said, "Then get out of it, for indeed, you are expelled.
And indeed, upon you is the curse until the Day of Recompense." (Quran 15:30-35)

Satan was arrogant then and he is arrogant now.  His vow from that moment on was to misguide and deceive Adam, Eve and their descendants.  When he was expelled from Paradise, Satan made a promise to God that if he would be kept alive until the Day of Judgment that he would work his utmost to mislead humankind.  Satan is crafty and cunning, but ultimately understands the weaknesses of human beings; he recognises their loves and desires and employs all manner of tricks and deception to lead them away from the path of righteousness.  He started to make sin attractive to humankind and tempted them with evil things and immoral actions. 

“Now, indeed, Iblees (Satan) did prove that his opinion of them had been right: for [when he called them,] they followed him - all but some of the believers [among them].” (Quran 34:20)

In Arabic, the word shaytaan can refer to any arrogant or insolent creature and it is applied to this particular creature because of his insolence and rebellion towards God.  Satan (Shaytaan) is a jinn, a creature who can think, reason and has free will.  He is full of despair because he understands the full significance of being denied God’s mercy.  Satan has vowed not to inhabit the depths of Hell alone; his wish is to take as many human beings with him as he can.