Chapter 2 - Mother's Wrath

Quietly creeping through the back door, Sophie gently clicked the lock and turned to place her bags down on the kitchen table. Peeling the sodden jumper off her shivering frame she threw it over the nearest radiator before heading to the cupboards to see if there is anything edible in the house. Carefully rummaging so as not to wake her mother, Sophie found a packet of biscuits and a moldy bit of cake. Throwing the cake in the bin, and the first few biscuits which were soft, she headed upstairs munching her way through the rest of the packet. Grabbing her pjs and depositing the rest of the biscuits on her bedside table she trudged through to the bathroom and striped off the rest of her wringing clothes. Towelling herself dry and pulling on her thin pyjamas she risked turning on the light - at least now she could say she just needed the loo. Throwing the damp clothes into the overflowing basket - she would get round to it. Eventually. - she brushed her teeth and risked a glance at herself in the full wall mirror. Thin and ragged. Pale, drawn face with huge deep purple bags, she looked like a druggy. Well what she thinked druggies looked like anyway. Pulling the thin material closer around her shivering frame she clicked off the light and crept down the hall towards her room. Only to find her mother towering in the far corner.

"And what time do you call this?!" she bellowed, striding towards her scrawny daughter and grabbing her by the scruff of the neck. " I said. What time do you call this!" she shouted as she shook Sophie roughly and dragging her into the master bedroom. "You're a disgrace! Creeping around at ungodly hours of the night. Well that would make sense. You are a devil's child! Thinking you're different and 'special.' Well come back down to earth, because you are scum! There's nothing special about you except that everyone prays you'll die young! Bah! Why me? Why did I produce such a devilish, hideous child! I wonder everyday!" Heaving Sophie up so her feet are dangling in the air, she flung her across the room, turned and staggered out onto the landing. The force of the throw sent Sophie into the far wall and blackness filled her vision.