Oswald, his cheeks still flaming, nods. He sits on the other edge of the bed and folds his hands together.

"How have things been with you, Oswald?"

Os chuckles at Ed's choice of question. "Well, I've been stuck in Arkham getting humiliated by Jerome Valeska, as I told you in the truck when you busted me out.... Um, I got turned into a popsicle, I-"

"It was a stupid question, but that's not exactly what I meant. I mean, how are you feeling?"

Oswald flashes Ed an eccentric glare. "Confused. What the hell is this?"

"What?"

"This! You suddenly being so friendly! Since when do you care about how I'm feeling?"

"Oh, so I suppose nearly dying because I wouldn't give you up is an example of me 'not caring,'" Ed retaliates.

"I did the same thing for you and didn't receive any goddamn praise."

The two stare at each other intensely, much like when they were constantly at each other's throats.
They seem to communicate silently.

You mean....

Yes, Edward- 'So you'd rather die than give up the man who tried to kill you?' Remember that? I proved my love for you and you shot me. 

I thought we moved passed that!

There are actions that I'll never quite forget.

Edward breaks off the exchange of soundless snaps by averting his eyes to his hands, folded in his lap, mirroring the man across from him. "I'm sorry, Oswald. I want to move past all that." They meet eyes again. Ed hesitantly stands up and strolls in front of the sat other.

"I want to begin anew with you at my side, Oswald."

"Excuse me?" Oswald questions defensively, picking at the fibers in his sweater and avoiding Ed's (unfortunately beautiful) eyes.

"You gave up your revenge for me," Edward slowly recites. He leans forward to place his finger under Oswald's chin. Surprisingly, he lets Ed do so, while shifting his bright-eyed gaze back up. "Love is about sacrifice-"

"Edward," Oswald says softly, now half-lidded as if Ed's touch cast a spell upon him, "I... I'm not playing your game...."

"I would have died to save you today, you understand that, right?" Ed asks, squatting down to meet Oswald's expression at his level.

Realization slams into the shorter man. His eyes shoot open and his hands go up in surprise, sending Ed's arm back down. "Wait.... You mean...?"

"I can't keep it hidden anymore, Os."

The two share a glossy-eyed look of mixed feelings.
Shock, delight, anticipation, dread, tension....

Oswald is frozen in place, not knowing what to do or say. He's never been in such a position. What exactly does it mean, to be loved back? Is it simply a mutual affection, or is it more? Oswald thought he was so certain as to what love was, being that he's in it, but how does one break down that subject? Is it something one talks about? Does it usually end up in a relationship or at least a kiss?

Oh shit.
Does it?

He inhales sharply as Ed's hands gently grab Oswald's, pulling them from the air in which they were petrified. Once again the spell is cast, and Oswald melts forward, now mere inches away from Ed's face.

"I'm worthless to one..." Oswald states quietly, "But priceless to two."

Edward beams. Maybe they didn't have to move past memories such as that particular riddle hanging between them. "I love you, Oswald."