Prologue

I can't believe you are turning 16, Arvada!" Mum squealed from the front seat.

I chuckled and replied with, "You have been saying that for the past 12 months, mum." It was dad's turn to laugh.

He turned around for a second from driving. "She has hasn't she?!" My dad practically yelled from the driver's seat.

"Simon, keep your eyes on the road please," My mum said to my father sweetly.

"Yes, honey," My dad replied with a roll of his eyes. I laughed at my parents.

It's been 16 years and I still look nothing like either of my parents. I don't have the strong build and intelligence from my father or the beauty and talent from my mother. Instead, I was this uncoordinated, book-loving geek that wished she was like her parents and/or her brothers.

"Dad, what age did you realise what you wanted to do?" I questioned the doctor.

"You have plenty of time for that, Arvada," My mum put in.

"Nonsense, Harmony. Ara, I was 14 when I realised how much I loved medicine and helping people. It will be any day now that you figure out what you want to do," My father said, again turning around to me.

"Simon!" Was the last thing I heard from my mother and father before we were rolling around and knocked out.

-

"Her blood pressure is very low and she has lost most of her blood! Hurry her to the surgery room to remove twelve pieces of glass and a metal pole from her rib!" Someone called.

I really want to see who it was, who it is and why they were saying that.

Is it a movie? It can't be, I don't remember falling asleep during one.

Is it a family member or friend? Can't be, it hurts too much.

It's me, i'm the one who is dying.

"Ahh!" I yelled, not able to open my eyes. "Stop the pain!"

"She has woken up!"

"Quick! Give her anesthetic shot!"

"Put her back to sleep, hurry!"

"No! I have to find my mum and my dad!" No one replied to me and I used all my strength to open my eyes. It was extremely difficult to do so and when I did, I was met with a horrific sight.

"There's a pole in my stomach!" I yell. "There's a mother fucking pole inside of me! It hurts! Get it out!" I scream and writhe, not helping my situation but instead, making it worse. Blood spurted from the pole and what I think is my intestines started creeping out. "What the fuck is that!?" I yell, wanting this pole out of me. "Why aren't you helping -," I was cut off by a needle being stuck into my arm and then blackness.

-

"Mm," I mumbled, rubbing my eyes. Blinking a few times, I was able to open them. "Hey, Tyson," I say to my older brother, the youngest of four. "What are you doing in my room?" I question.

"I-I'm not in your room," He says.

"Like hell you aren't look-," I was about to gesture to the book-covered walls of my room only to have pale white curtains staring back at me. "Where am I?" It felt like the most cliché thing to say but I was curious.

"Good afternoon, sister," I was met with another face - another one of my older brothers, the second oldest to be precise. "You're unfortunately in a hospital," Noah says.

"What?" I say, trying to sit up.

"No no no no no. You can't move!" The oldest of my brothers - Scott - came into view, pushing my shoulders down, back onto the bed.

"Why am I in the hospital?!" I demanded.

"You - were in a car accident," Jayden, the third eldest, replied to me. "You, mum - and d-dad," He said.

"Where are they? Are they going to visit? Are they at work? What are they doing?" I ask, wanting to see my loving parents.

"Arva," Scott started. "They - they didn't make it," He said, his voice breaking, tears forming in the twenty-year-old's eyes.

"No! N-no! They had to! They're fine! This is the worst prank you have ever pulled on me!" I said, looking at all four of them in the eye starting with the youngest to the oldest: Tyson, Jayden, Noah and finally Scott.

"I wish it was a prank, sis," Jayden says, sniffling.

"What- what happened exactly?" I ask, fighting my own tears.

"Well, we were in Scott's car, behind you and then we see a truck smash into the front of dad's car. The next thing we know, the truck flips over, we smash into dad's car and the truck slams into Scott's boot. We all suffered whip-lash but mum and dad were completely squashed. You had one of the poles from the truck's load forced into your left ribs and a major concussion. You may suffer from memory loss for a few months," Tyson filled me in, his eyes filling with tears.

I was silent, I had no words to say. Finally, I sighed, the tears falling freely.

"Where are we going now? We have no family," I say.

"I-I could take care of you but mum and dad hadn't written a will and my one job wont cover for all five of us at home and Noah's college and Jayden's, Tyson's and your own schooling so I had to do some research in the few hours you were asleep. We have an uncle, an uncle William in London who is dad's brother. They had a fall-out before I was born but uncle Will is happy to take us in if we can afford our flights there-," Scott starts.

"Wait, London, England?" Jayden questions. Scott nods.

"No, I'm not moving!" Tyson says, crossing his arms.

"We have to! I got into Oxford and Scott already has two jobs waiting for him," Noah says.

"What about our friends? Our home?!" Jayden puts in.

"You can make friends and we can't afford to keep our home," Scott replies. Tyson and Jayden huff and cross their arms.

Noah sat on the side of my bed, his weight bringing the left side of my body down. I winced and hissed through my teeth as he stretched my body. Immediately, he got off the bed and apologised, retreating to the chair beside him. He stroked and pushed my hair out of my face, the other boys silent.

"Can I look at your wound?" Tyson finally asked. I sighed in annoyance but nodded nonetheless, I wanted to see it too.

"Be careful," Scott warned. Tyson nodded and gently lifted up the sheets, followed by a hospital shirt, revealing a circle-shaped wound covered in stitches.

Beside me, Noah sighed and kissed my forehead. "Happy birthday, Arva," He said.