- 09 | T O M B

C H A P T E R N I N E
Tomb

___

Two days had passed and nothing had happened. I didn't talk to anyone about what happened and just stared in the dark, a hand on my dagger.

"You look thoughtful, my dear," Gandalf commented.

I looked up. "I am."

"Maybe if you share your worries, we can find a solution."

I looked back into the darkness. "My powers," I began, "I can't control them and that makes me anxious to use them. What if I hurt one of you?"

He frowned. "Well, I can help you with that."

I looked at him. "You do?"

He nodded and took a part of a wooden chair.

"Can you set it on fire?"

I didn't reply and instead concentrated to set the part on fire. After ten seconds, the part was on fire.

"Now, stop the fire."

I concentrated again and after a good twenty seconds, the fire was gone.

"Good."

Gandalf looked back at the tree possible tunnels. "Ah, it's this way."

I stood up and followed him.

When we reached the end of the tunnel, we came into an open space. I couldn't see much as Gandalf's staff only lit up a small part of it.

"Let me risk a little more light," the wizard said. "Behold! The great realm and Dwarf-city of Dwarrowdelf."

I looked at Gimli and saw him standing there with so much pride that it made me laugh.

"Well there's an eye-opener that you don't see everyday." Sam said from behind. I couldn't help but agree.

The group began to walk through the hall, when Gimli noticed something: a pale ray of natural light coming chamber up ahead. He ran off into the room, disregarding who called after him. We ran after the dwarf and entered a large chamber. Gimli was sobbing on his knees in front of a stone tomb.

"No... nooo!" The dwarf exclaimed. I walked closer and put my hand on his shoulder.

"'Here lies Balin.'"Gandalf read, "'son of Fundin, Lord of Moria' he's dead then, it's as I feared." He then shove his staff and hat into the arms of Pippin. Moving towards a dwarf skeleton, the Grey Wizard removed a large book from its dead hands.

"We must move on, we can not linger." I heard Legolas say to Aragorn. Before Aragorn could reply, Gandalf began reading from a page of the book.

"They have taken the bridge, and the second hall. We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums, drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out... They are coming."

There was a sudden, horrifying loud bang sounding from behind the group, making us jump. Frightened by what Gandalf had been reading, Pippin had accidentally ran into a skeleton perched precariously on the side of a well. When he had hit it, the corps fell down and made a lot of noise. Everyone looked at the well in silence. Gandalf slammed the dusty old book shut and stormed over to the horrified hobbit. He snatched his hat and staff out of Pippin's hands.

"You fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time and rid us from your stupidity!" The Wizard huffed. I wanted to step up and say it was just an accident, when the drums started.

"Frodo!" I heard Sam exclaim. I turned around and saw Frodo's sword glowing blue. We heard more banging, hissing and grunting from outside the chamber.

"Get back! Stay close to Gandalf!" Aragorn ordered the hobbits and I.

"If you think I will stand here and do noting, then you are wrong mister," I said, taking my bow and an arrow. "I can handle myself, thank you very much."

Aragorn glanced at me, wanting to discuss further but Boromir called him over to barricade the door.

"They have a cave troll," Boromir stated. "Just what we need."

While Legolas and I were tossing weapons to the two men to help them barricade the door, Gimli climbed on Balin's tomb and brandished his axe defiantly.

"Let them come! There is one dwarf in Moria that is still breathing!" He shouted.

I readied myself into position next to Aragorn and Boromir. Before I could glance one last time at Frodo, the door broke down and hundreds of orcs ran in. I had shot twenty of them before I switched to my sword. I didn't trust to use my powers.

I sliced and beheaded orcs. I didn't really wanted to think about what I did. It was my first battle after all.

By the time I made my way towards Frodo, I was stuck in orcblood.

Just when I wanted to ask Frodo how he was doing, Aragorn flew through the air. I froze when I saw him laying unmovable. Something in my cracked and before I knew it, all the Orcs around me were on fire. I walked over to Aragorn, barely knowing what I do and took my water bottle. With my water powers, I moved the water over his body. I knew it had healing powers. I don't know how I knew it, I just knew it.

His eyes fluttered open.

"Gwen?"

I pulled him in a hug. "I thought I lost you."

He put his arms around me. "Shh sweetheart, I'm here and everything is alright."

I nodded, let him go, swept my tears away and stood back up. I offered my hand to him and he took it. I turned around, looking for Frodo, when Frodo was pierced by a spear.

"Frodo!" I yelled. I jumped on the troll and took my dagger. I stung with it and saw Legolas standing ready with his bow.

"Shoot Legolas!" I yelled.

"I can't do that! I may hurt you!" He yelled back.

"Just do it!" I replied. He shot and hit him right in the eye. The troll fell on the ground and I landed on it. Two strong arms pulled me up.

"Don't ever do that to me again," Legolas said, embracing me.

I smiled slightly. "I can't promise that."

He let me go and I ran over to Frodo.

I kneeled down beside him. "Frodo?" When I didn't get a response, I put my head in his chest and cried.

He couldn't be gone, could he?

"Gwen?" A voice under me said. I looked up and looked right into Frodo's blue eyes.

"Frodo? You're .... you're alive?"

He removed his shirt and Bilbo's mithril became visible. I sighted and hugged him.

"Don't ever do that to me again."

He smiled at me. "I can't promise that."

I just hugged him tight, not ready to think about that.

"I know."