Stay Out

The rest of the week went by slower than Alice anticipated, but it was the same thing every day – wake up, go to school, read in the library during lunch, go home, lock herself in her room until dinner, and sleep.

But it was finally Friday afternoon. Alice had just arrived home in Hal's Firebird. Once again, she was happy to make it back to the house alive.

Alice tried to hurry out of the car so that she didn't have to speak to Hal, but he caught her before she could.

"There's a party tonight and you're coming with me."

She put on her Resting Alice Face like she always does when talking to Hal and stared him down. "Says who?"

"Says me, baby." He tried to put his arm around her but she unlocked the door and hopped out before he could.

She went to the trunk to pull out her bag but he turned her around and pressed her back against the car.

"I told Hermione that we would make an appearance."

Alice rolled her eyes. "I highly doubt she would want me at her party."

"Well, she seemed pretty enthusiastic about you coming when I told her."

"That's because she's the fakest 18-year-old out there," Alice Scoffed. "Besides, I can't drink."

"Says who?" Hal leaned his head a little farther in to create emphasis on the "who" part.

"Says me." Alice imitated Hal's voice from earlier in the car. "And the doctor." She cocked her head to the side in a matter-of-fact way. "And your baby."

"Oh lay off the damn baby excuse and have one night of fun, would you?" Hal released her from the car and backed up.

"I don't think you understand, Harold. This is not just some science project that we're doing here! I can't just go out and party whenever I want! This is a human child. Your human child! Doesn't that mean anything to you?" Her face was hot and red like a tamale.

"Of course it does, baby." He stepped close to her once again and cradled her stomach in his hands, but she pushed him away as always and got her bag out of the trunk of his car.

"Fine, Alice. Stay home and mope about whatever you've been moping about for the past month. But I'm going."

Alice really didn't care. It was just a few more hours that she could spend relaxing, but she didn't let Hal know. "Fine, I'll just have to do that then, won't I?"

She marched off up the stairs to the porch where she ran into Mrs. Cooper. "Is everything okay, darling?"

Alice gave her a friendly smile. "Everything's fine Mrs. Cooper." Alice looked back at Hal and grimaced but ran off to her room before he could notice.

A few hours later, it was dinner time. Mrs. Cooper had made an amazing roast with some vegetables as sides.

Alice walked to the table to see that Hal had already left. As far as is parents knew, he was over at Hiram Lodge's house hanging out with some of the football team members.

Alice sat at the table in awkward silence with Mr. and Mrs. Cooper. They made small talk about the weather and school but nothing fancy.

When dinner was finally over, Alice headed back up to her room to get ready for an early bedtime.

When she got back up to her room, she threw on an old baggy t-shirt and didn't even worry about putting on any pants since the shirt was like a dress on her, even with her being pregnant.