Chapter One

Obsessed with this banner, it's stunning!! Thank you so much KaiyaLove for making this for me (:

If you guys want to send in your banners/fan art, my email is open!!

Word Count: 1680

~Jada

I anticipated graduation until this point. Now I want nothing to do with it.

On the other side of the thick stage curtain, mumbling and chatter ensues between our potential scouters and family who came to watch the ceremony. On this side, girls prance around, dusting makeup onto each other's face, smoothing their dresses and pinning their hair into ridiculous patterns on their head.

Their hopes are high. Beyond this curtain, university liaison officers await, and scouters keep their eye out for the best potential student. They rehearse their speeches, full of their achievements and future aspirations.

I haven't planned anything. Here I sit, slouched in my seat, still dressed in my uniform, rather than the formal wear the rest of the girl's sport.

Mistress Cunningham has us all line up by alphabetical order. I'm right in the middle, between an aspiring lawyer and business major. According to this set up, the guests on the other side will be getting a very authentic, simple half time show.

I hate this.

Mistress Cunningham trots alone the line, kicking the feet of girls who are in the wrong position, straightening jackets and pulling hair over girl's shoulders. She doesn't touch me. She doesn't even look at me. She knows I stand no chance beyond this curtain. Each of these girl's mistresses will be approached later on, offered a place in numerous universities.

"Remember girl's," Mistress Cunningham says from the side of stage, the unflattering amount of blush she applied this morning glowing merrily, "smile!"

The curtains are suddenly lugged open, revealing a crowd of awaiting people. Immediately I can discern the scouters from the parents. Some families wave at the girls on stage, gushing and whispering to each other. Scouters stand, clipboards in hand, jotting down their initial impressions.

This is like an auction. Of human lives.

Mistress Cunningham saunters on stage, microphone in hand. She stands almost directly in front of me in a rather petty maneuver. I'm sure she has such a glorious smile on her face as she addresses the turnout. Her career relies on the girls upon this stage. The higher tier schools they are introduced to, the better she looks.

"Good morning and welcome everyone," she says, voice puffed from her entrance to the stage. She should spend more time working out then harassing her students. "As you can see, we have some lovely woman upon this stage who are all looking for a place within your university."

I glare at her back.

"If you look in your program, you can see who each girl belongs to. If you are interested, please speak to their Mistress after each have spoken," she continues, motioning across the stage. At least her large body shields me from the spotlight, which is already making me start to sweat atop my brow.

Cunningham says some more words, attempting to come off charming and desirable before she hobbles off stage.

The bad taste in my mouth only increases as the glimmering halo from the spotlight flickers to the first girl. She doesn't freeze – she's been preparing.

She confidently steps forward. "My name is Brenna Aaliyah, and I'm aspiring to receive a place in a prestigious law school. I'm worthy, because this year, I have achieved...."