Chapter 8

The Entrance to Aslan's Country

A soft cool, refreshing breeze blew across the thin strip of beach at the end of the ocean. My hair rose gently and swayed in the wind as did the fur of Aslan's mane, along with the long dark locks of Orious' mane. It also blew the skirts of the I now wore which I had not been wearing originally, along with a matching headdress and necklace. I pushed it to the back of my mind as it was not important a the moment. The wave that seemed to be frozen in place yet not completely frozen, behind Aslan appeared to be moving as though it were still among the water and I could vaguely see creatures beyond its depths swimming through its currents yet it showed no sign of moving any closer. The top of it curled ever so gently in our direction giving the appearance that it was about to crash over our heads and engulf us in a watery grave any moment.

Through all my and Orious' studying, Aslan remained quiet and patient as he waited for one of us to speak.

"What is this place?"

It was Orious who finally broke the silence which before now was only filled by the soft crashing and spluttering of waves and water behind us though farther away as the immediate water at our rears was calm and clear as glass, lilies floating and bobbing gently across the surface, their petals the purest white I had ever seen. Every one of them as perfect as the last.

"You are still within the boundaries of Narnia, but beyond here-" Aslan gestured with his head to the wave which stood behind him "-is the entrance to my country. It is where all my people go once they have moved on from this world."

I shared a long look with Orious. 'Moved on.' We both knew what he meant by that. I suddenly felt a stray tear fall down my cheek though I tried to fight it back. The tall Centaur with me stepped closer and wrapped me in his arms. I buried my face in his chest, we understood how each other felt at the present.

"So we are dead?" I said it as a question more than a statement but my answer was not what I was expecting.

"Not yet. Not if you choose otherwise. Both of you."

Our tears of grief came to a halt and we turned our attention to the Great Lion. His eyes twinkled happily and a knowing smile was present on his face as he moved his gaze between us.

"Explain," exclaimed Orious. If it were anyone else, even Peter or Edmund, I'm sure he would have been more stern and demanding but as it was Aslan, he spoke in no such tone.

"You can choose if you wish to enter my kingdom but you will not be able to return here ever again. Or you may return but you must first do something for me and until that task is complete you will be different to how you were originally," replied Aslan.

"Different how?" I asked uncertainly. It sounded promising. I could return to my family, as could Orious. I could return to Caspian. But being 'different' that could mean anything. We could look different, sound different, be personality-wise different, maybe I would lose my magic!