Chapter 27

I was still trying to process things.

This whole time Rose was just playing us.

We got played by a six year old.

Now that I thought about it though, things started to make sense. Wherever we seemed to be I'd always catch a glimpse of Rose right before Dox or one of his mental friends showed up. She was probably leading them to us the entire time or maybe it was the other way around since we were now back to square one.

Then there was the whole incident when we were chained in front of those steam pipes and Rose's didn't even go off. It skipped her completely and went straight to me. That was probably Dox's doing. There's no way he'd risk letting his little 'sweetheart' get hurt.

I could make a safe bet now and say that the old man that had been killed wasn't even her grandpa.

Since when had six year olds become such good actors?

I'd watched a few of the new kid shows that come on TV now and she obviously hadn't gotten it from them.

"Finally putting it together princess?"

I looked up at the sound of Dox's voice and took a small step back when I realized he was talking to me.

"Don't bother trying to run, you already had your chance. Now that you're here I don't plan on letting you go."

I had a really strong urge to tell Dox where he could put his plan but I wisely kept my mouth shut.

"Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't figure it out earlier. I mean I practically gave you the answer with that little riddle." Dox chuckled.

"I don't get it." Archer suddenly spoke up.

"Why send us off running when you were just going to lure us right back here and why bother going through all that trouble when you could have just kept us here?"

"Well that wasn't my original plan but since you and your little girlfriend decided to play Bonnie and Clyde with me earlier I decided to give you both the special treatment."

"Lucky us." Archer muttered.

Dox placed Rose on the ground and clapped his hands together.

"Now, let's get this show on the road!"

Without warning he pulled the black handgun from earlier out and jumped down from the platform so that he was now standing on the tracks with us.

Because my luck had been so great today (note my sarcasm) I ended up being closest to Dox and therefore ended up having a gun pressed into my back.

"Walk." Dox ordered.

I didn't hesitate.

Dox led us around the back of the train and opened up the back exit. Once inside Dox pushed me down on one of the seats and turned towards Archer who had been glaring holes into the back of Dox's head.

"Hold out your hands." Dox demanded.

Archer frowned. "Why?"

Dox shook his head and pointed the gun at my head causing me to freeze up. "I don't have time for this. Hold out your damn hands or I'll put a bullet through her head."

Archer didn't hesitate this time. He held his hands out while Dox dug in his back pocket and pulled out a pair of handcuffs.

How many pairs of those things did he have?

I watched as Dox placed both of Archer's hands around one of the metal standing poles and handcuffed them around it. He then patted Archer down before reaching under his hoodie and grabbing the gun that Archer had placed there.