Chapter 26

Now I kind of understand why the dumb girls in the movies always seem to trip and fall flat on their faces when they're being chased.

Having to run for your life gives you a serious case of jelly legs.

As Archer pulled me down the tunnel I had my fair share of trips and stumbles and it wasn't like I even had anything to trip over. I was just extremely clumsy and I kept tripping over my own feet.

If I get out of this alive I'll never waste another good bowl of popcorn throwing it at the TV when the girls in the movies always end up falling.

As we continued to run I tried to listen to see if I could hear any footsteps behind us that would mean that Jason Mask was following us and as much as I didn't want to hear his thundering footsteps behind us, in a way I kind of did because if I didn't hear them then that meant that he had went after Rose and Dylan.

All of a sudden I was jerked to the side and I stumbled, almost face planting the ground. When I righted myself I looked up at Archer ready to use every foul word I knew when he put a finger up to his lips signaling me to keep quiet which only made me want to ask why. I was about to do just that when Archer pushed me up against the wall of the tunnel and into the shadows where the dim lighting didn't quite reach. When Archer pressed his body up against mine so that there wasn't an inch of space between us I was close to panicking for a whole different reason.

What was he doing?!

The feeling was quickly replaced with my earlier panic though as I heard booming footsteps and a few seconds later I watched with wide eyes as Jason Mask went thundering past us and continued down the tunnel.

He hadn't seen us.

When I was sure that he was gone I released a breath I hadn't realized I was holding but that only lasted for about a millisecond before my breath hitched again and I was having trouble swallowing.

Archer was still pressed up against me. He was so close that I knew he had to feel my rapid heartbeat. Or was that his?

I looked up at him to find that he was already looking down at me with that unreadable expression in his green eyes again.

How did we keep ending up in situations like this?

"Gemma."

Oh my cheese balls. His voice.

"I really need to tell you something and I guess now is a good a time as any since I got interrupted last time."

I nodded and waited for him to continue.

Archer took a deep breath before he continued.

"Okay, so you remember how earlier when I said that there was another girl that I had feelings for before Avery but that she wouldn't give me the time of day?"

No way.

I'm pretty sure I was about to pass out. He couldn't have been about to say what I thought he was about to say.

Now?

Here?

Right at this moment?

I nodded slowly.

Archer took another deep breath.

"Well—"

"Rose!" I suddenly called out.

Archer frowned at me.

"What?"

I point over his shoulder where Rose had just come into view and even from here I could see the red that stained her once pink coat.

Archer turned around and when he saw her he pulled away from me and we both hurried down the tunnel until we reached her.

I knelt down in front of her but kept my hands at my side. There was so much blood that I was afraid that if I touched her I'd hurt her.

"Rose where are you hurt?" I asked frantically searching to see where the blood was coming from.

Rose shook her head. "I'm not hurt." she said, her voice trembling.

I frowned at that.

"Then why are you covered in blood?"

Rose said only one word and that one word sent chills down my spine.

"Dylan."

No.

Rose looked at me with tears in her eyes. When she reached out and began to tug on my hand I looked at her with a frown.

"Come on, hurry. He needs help." She said.

"You know where he is?" Archer asked as I got to my feet.

Rose nodded. "This way." she said and started to lead us down yet another tunnel.

She made a bunch of quick lefts and rights and it wasn't until we were back to where this whole thing started, back on the train tracks, that I realized something was wrong.

There was no way Rose should have been able to know the way back. She made way too many turns for her to have memorized it only going through it once.

I stopped walking at the same as Archer and I turned to him and we shared a look.

He was thinking the same thing.

I watched as Rose climbed up onto the waiting platform and then turned to us.

A creepy little smile formed on her lips.

She turned to her left and I guessed that she was looking at someone but I couldn't see who it was because of the subway train.

I watched in stunned silence as Dox suddenly came into view and picked Rose up and placed her on his hip.

"Did I do good daddy?" She asked.

Daddy?!

"You did great sweetheart. Daddy's proud of you."

Rose smiled proudly.

Dox turned his head to the left and said, "Bring him out."

A few seconds later Jason Mask and another man with a ski mask covering his face came out from behind the train holding a bloody Dylan between them.

A gasp left my mouth and I suddenly felt like I might pass out.

Dox turned back to me and Archer.

"Now that the whole gang is back together we can pick up where we left off."