Epilogue

New Year's Eve (Months later)

"Baby, I promise, you look fine. " Alivia said as they pulled up to her childhood home. Both women are slightly nervous. Alivia never brought a woman home to meet her family and she was scared about what they are going to say. She never went into much detail in describing Jada because she didn't want them to judge her. Her family isn't really judgmental, but she knows they will have something to say about her age.

"Okay, Okay! I'm just really nervous. I never met anyone's parents before." The younger girl said fixing her hair in the mirror. All she could think about was saying or doing something wrong in front of Alivia's parents. Alivia tried to reassure her that her parents are really nice, but she could see the slight anxiety in her eyes. Though they have a lot in common, they have a lot of visual differences.

"Lani, baby? Wake up, we're here." Jada reached back softly waking her daughter and unsnapping her seatbelt. The little girl's eyes fluttered open and wonder curiously out of the window. Without thinking the girl opened her door and hopped out of the car.

"Lani, wait!" Alivia and Jada said, following suit. Excited Lani reached the front door and rang the bell before the couple reached the steps.

"Lani, what did we tell you about jumping out of the car?" Jada said as they made it to the top of the stairs.

"What!? The car wasn't moving this time, Mommy." She said seriously. Both of the women chuckled and shook their heads.

As Jada looked up at the huge red door, she almost felt intimidated. Everything about the house screamed privilege. From the circled driveway to the plaque the says "James Residents". Alivia's penthouse is modern and chic, but this house is a traditional, Cape Cod type of house. It's beautiful, she thought.

"Howie, they're here!" They heard a woman yell from the other side of the door. Alivia chuckled. Seconds later a brown skin older woman, slim, with big beautiful curly hair answer the door. She wore a yellow dress with an apron over top.

"Livy!" The woman yelled as she pulled Alivia in a tight hug.

"Hi, Mom. " Alivia whispered back as she embraced her mother. As they had their moment, Jada pulled Lani closer to her and looked on. Warmness and a bit of jealousy stung her heart as she thought about her own mother. She shook it off and took a deep breath as Alivia and her mom pulled away.

"Oh come in, come in!" Her mother said to them. As they followed her inside, Jada looked around in awe. The house is beyond what she could imagine. It screamed 'American Dream.'

"Mom, this is my fiance, Jada... and this is Lani. " Alivia said introducing us to her mother. Her mother smiled at us without a glint of judgment.

"Toya. It's so good to finally meet you, Jada." Her mother said extending her hand. Jada shook it, smile and said likewise. They shared a warm smile before her mother bent down and extended her hand to Lani as well.

"And I have heard a lot about you too Miss Lani, I'm glad to finally meet you. " Toya said sweetly. Lani shyly placed her hand in hers, while hiding behind Jada's leg. Alivia and Jada looked at each other and both shook their heads at Lani's sudden shyness.

As Toya and Lani got acquainted, a light skin man, tall with salt and pepper hair and beard walked out of a room and approached them.

"There's my baby girl!" He said with a huge smile on his face. Joy jumped in Alivia's eyes as she walked over to her father and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Hi, Daddy. " Alivia said pulling away. They shared a quick moment before her father looked over at Jada confused.

"Baby girl, I thought you said your fiance had one daughter." He said looking at Jada and then back at Alivia.