Chapter 34

The woman, or Rosemary as she was called, wore her blonde hair up in a tight bun, so tight that Genevieve almost cringed. She was of normal height, and she wore a tight white dress, neckline low in a v-shape. Jewelry of gold, silver, sapphire, emerald, and even of amethyst were garnished on her bodies as necklaces, rings, and earrings. Her eyes- oh, her eyes- they were a mesmerizing shade of gray and blue, a young storm waiting for her encore.

"Ranger Halt," Rosemary nodded a greeting, Genevieve snapping out of her thinking. At first glance, she disliked Rosemary. Her sense of style and her overdose of jewelry was just too much.

Halt glanced at his companions and the curious children. Gesturing at the newcomer, Halt spoke. "Everyone, this is Rosemary Gableden. A courier of Redmont." He looked at Rosemary. "These are my companions." He moved his hands towards Bloise, now standing. "This is Ranger Bloise, and then there we have Genevieve, also a courier, and Aldren NightBrew."

"Greetings," Rosemary bowed her head in respect before turning to Halt. "The people of Wensley village have seen your ship from afar," she said, eyes trailing over to the almost sunken ship. "The Baron wishes to speak to you."

Halt replied. "And I to him. Lead the way, Rosemary."

Rosemary led the way to the castle, Bloise, Aldren, and Genevieve with Crow Man behind her in front of the kids. Halt walked in the back, with his apprentice, cowl up. Gilan looked around the village, pulling up his own cowl before slightly smiling. "I've missed this," he murmured.

Halt nodded, placing a hand on Gilan's shoulder. "So did I. It's good to be back."

>>>------------->

"Welcome back, Halt!" Baron Arald grinned as Halt came into his view. "And good to see you Gilan. How has Halt been treating you?"

Gilan lightly laughed. "Just fine," he answered. "He's just been... grumpy."

"Indeed," the Baron laughed as Rosemary cleared her throat.

"My lord, I do believe we have business to attend to."

Sighing, Arald nodded. "Yes, yes," he looked at Crow Man and the group of kids. "Rosemary, go fetch Exavier, would you? I'm sure he's anxious for a new case. And while you're add it, find Lucas."

Rosemary wrinkled her pointy nose at the command, having a dislike for Exavier, the scribe. "As you wish," she curtsied before leaving to find the two. After she left, Arald pinched his nose, looking at the children, and then at the adults. He breathed. In. Out. In. Out. "I suppose I need to find rooms for all of you," he muttered, doubting the number of rooms in his castle.

"Not all us," Halt muttered. "I wish to sleep in my own bed tonight." Gilan nodded a response to that.

Arald nodded, murmuring to himself. "I suppose I have room for the children, but some would have to sleep in the orphanage with the wards. And you for" he looked at Bloise, Genevieve, and Aldren, and Crow Man, "would have to have rooms too." The Baron frowned, counting his fingers before throwing his hands in exasperation. "Where's Lucas when you need him?"

"Right here, my lord," the door opened, Lucas entering, Rosemary and Exavier following.

"Ah, good." Arald nodded, sighing in relief, happy to see his secretary. "Lucas, I need you to set up sleeping quarters for our guests. There is no need for rooms for Halt and Gilan as they will be staying in their own cabin." He turned to Rosemary. "I'm sending you to Araluen to send information to King Duncan. I'm sure he would want to know about this. And Exavier, I suppose you should start writing up all the crimes, this rascal has caused." He motioned to Crow Man, who Rosemary had informed him of when they arrived.

The selected few nodded before setting off to work. Halt raised an eyebrow at how fast Arald was working. It wasn't how he normally would do things, but he made no comment. After all, he had only just arrived home. And he had no wish to get into more business than he needed to.

"Follow me," Lucas said to the guests, leading them to some guest rooms. As they left, Gilan looked up at Halt. Sighing, Halt nodded. They walked out of the castle and mounted their steeds. Then they rode, side by side, home.

Gilan rejoiced, remembering and doing the same movements he had done as a routine so long ago. He felt like a totally different person as he rubbed Blaze down in the small stables next to the small cabin. He fed Blaze an apple before stepping onto the veranda alongside of Halt. He took a breath, smelling the familiar wood. Halt stepped forward and pushed open the door; he looked back at Gilan. "Welcome home," he murmured before stepping inside to prepare a cup of coffee.

>>>------------->

Baron Arald sat on his throne, King Duncan standing to the right of him and Lucas to the left. A few days had passed, and Duncan and his personal guards along with Crowley had arrived at Redmont to sort out the problem with Crow Man. Rosemary hadn't returned, instead given the task to find the families of the children. It is now the day of the trial, the day to decide the fate of William Brown, leader of the Amethyst Order.

There wasn't many people present as the family of the children weren't notified yet, but there were enough. Halt, Crowley, and Bloise stood together in a corner, Genevieve and Aldren with them, and Gilan, Humphrey, and Milo stood together somewhere nearby whispering to each other. The other children weren't present, not wanting to see Crow Man ever again.

"Justice is finally being served," Humphrey murmured, watching Arald, Duncan, and Lucas prepare. "It has felt like an eternity."

Milo nodded in agreement. "Yes," he muttered. "And it is the best feeling I have ever felt."

Gilan softly smiled. "I'd be sad to see you two go."

Milo looked down at the ground, fiddling with his hands. "Me too," he whispered. "But it is a must. I'm sure my parents have been worried sick."

Humphrey sighed as he fingered the knife he wore on his hip. His father's knife, but he liked to think that it was Elaine's. Closing his eyes, a thought passed in his head. "I don't have to leave," he suddenly said. "I have no home. My mother is dead, and my father..." he trailed off. "Crow Man won't be taking care of me if he is allowed to live."

Gilan looked at Humphrey, raising an eyebrow. "And your siblings? Zoey and Mia?"

"They can st-"

Humphrey didn't get a chance to finish his sentence, for the Baron stood up, nodding at Lucas. A yell sounded and echoed in the spacious room, and Crow Man was escorted out and in front of King Duncan, Baron Arald, and Lucas the secretary. It was time for the trial.

A/N:

*jumps up and down* I hope you aren't too furious about that cliffie.

And I know Martin was Arald's secretary in the Ruins of Gorlan, but by that time he was only it for five years, and this story takes place like thirteen years before Ruins of Gorlan, so Lucas had to step in.

Also, I changed the number of children to thirteen as I realized that some children had died in the battle.

I'm just going to say this right now, so I get time to think:

I'm doing a Q and A with my OCs in this story! This will only be here on Wattpad, so if I decide to upload this on another platform like fanfiction.net or something, it won't be there(including Amino). You may ask any questions to me or the OCs in this chapter or any future one. It can be about ANYTHING. The story, favorite colors, songs, and heck you can even ask Raphael why he's a terrible person.

You can ask questions to the following characters:

-Elaine Labelle
-Humphrey Brown
-Milo Aquilar
-William Brown(Crow Man)
-Raphael
-Kelton(Caitlyn's husband)
-Ivan(Person who rejected to take Halt and co. to Gallica)
-Lucas(Baron Arald's secretary)