Chapter 21

The cool, strong winds of the sea blew Halt's cowl off of his head as he stepped onto Kelton's ship, Belpetrole, with Abelard and Blaze. As he waited for Kelton to finish up talking to Caitlyn, he stroke Abelard's mane.

"We've gone through one whirlwind of a journey, haven't we?" Halt softly murmured to the two horses, who nodded in agreement. "And now, we are here, going back to where it all started."

Halt paused and thought for awhile before continuing. "How do you think Gilan is handling things?" he softly asked to no one in particular.

Blaze neighed. He probably got himself into more trouble.

Looking at Blaze, Halt raised an eyebrow. "You sure like teasing him, don't you?"

Blaze nodded, and Halt sighed. This was the first time he actually had time to think. It hadn't occurred to him before that Gilan could be hurt, or even worse, dead.

He's not dead.

Halt turned to look at Abelard. "How would you know that?"

Because he's Gilan. And no one gets rid of Gilan easily.

"I suppose that is true," Halt muttered. "But you should always expect something to go wrong. Believe me, if you're wrong, you're not disappointed. If you're right, you're ready for it."

You won't be ready if Gilan dies.

Halt looked at Abelard and sighs. I suppose you're right.

Abelard snorted. I'm always right.

You ar-

"Halt?" A voice interrupted Halt from his thoughts. "What are you doing?"

Kelton stood on the boat, a bag in hand. His sandy blond hair was plastered down on his head from the sea air, and his bright blue eyes shone with curiosity and exhaustion.

Halt raised his eyebrow, avoiding the question. "Ready to go?"

Kelton nodded. "Ready."

Halt nodded and walked over to the starboard side of the ship. He raised his hand in a farewell to Caitlyn. "Farewell, Cate."

Caitlyn smiled sadly. "Goodbye, big brother."

Halt bowed his head and turned away as Kelton steered his ship-like boat away, never to see his sister again.

Going back to stand next to the horses, Halt closed his eyes. Memories came rushing back in to him as he now had nothing to do but wait. He cherished all of his peaceful times, even the ones where Gilan was being annoying.

He subconsciously reached up and touched his silver oakleaf. His hand then trailed towards another necklace he wore. A black-colored wolf hung from the second necklace, strong but gentle it was. He took a breath, remembering how he received it just moments before.

"I have a gift for you."

Halt raised an eyebrow at his sister. "You didn't have to get me a gift, Caitlyn," he answered, ready to leave to the port.

Caitlyn softly smiled. "Oh, but I did, Halt. Who knows when you'll be visiting?"

"I suppose so." Halt chuckled. "What is it?"

Caitlyn held out a chain to Halt, who reached out a hand to take it. Hanging on the chain was a black metal wolf howling. As Halt studied the beautiful and intricate design, Caitlyn spoke. "It reminded me of you," she murmured.

"Oh?" Halt raised an eyebrow.

"You are very much like a wolf, my dear brother," Caitlyn softly laughed. "You are both strong, compassionate, loyal, and some even fear you."

Halt smiled, the small wolf suddenly had a deeper meaning.

Caitlyn continued. "If there is one thing I have learned from you when we were younger, it would have been to trust my heart, mind, and instincts and to take things into my own control."

Halt placed the necklace over his head, and down on his neck, letting it rest next to his oakleaf. Caitlyn smiled, seeing the necklace on Halt. She leaned up and kissed him on the cheek before giving him a bear hug.

"I'll miss you," Caitlyn mumbled, small tears starting to form in her eyes.

Wiping the tears away, Halt whispered. "I'll miss you too, Caitlyn."

Halt sighed as the memory ended, letting go of the wolf. His eyes looked back at Kelton, who was steering the ship along quite nicely.

Suddenly feeling sick, Halt covered his mouth with his hand. He slowly croaked out to Kelton, not trusting himself to speak. "Do you have anything for me to do?"

Kelton tuned to look at Halt, who was slowly turning green. "Are you alright, Halt?" he asked, a laugh threatening to escape his lips.

Glaring at Kelton, Halt suddenly ran over to the edge of the boat and made a horrific noise. As he lifted his head back up and saw that Kelton was slightly grinning, Halt groaned. This was going to be a long ride.

A/N:

I totally did not almost forget to publish this.
:)
I have started drawing Elaine, Humphrey, and Milo! Find them in my art book.