Chapter 12

The steady motion of beach waves, the cool, small breezes, the clicking voices of the gulls, the concerned neighs of horses, they were all playing a song. As the breeze picked up and transformed into strong gusts of wind, the steady waves increased and the shoreline moved. The sound of the gulls faded, and the neighs grew louder.

A dim light filled Halt's vision as he blinked open his eyes and looked around in confusion. He was lying on a sandy beach. The sky was dark, and clouds were rolling in. A storm was coming.

Took you long enough.

Halt turned to look at Abelard. How long was I out?

About a week.

Halt jerked up. "A week?" He gasped.

Another neigh sounded. Halt turned to look at Blaze, but as he didn't have a connection with her, he had no idea what she said. "What?"

Abelard neighed. You woke a couple of times, but the cult knocked you out every time you woke. They dropped us off here, and left. I don't think they like you very much.

Halt didn't say anything and groaned once he stood. He flinched and stumbled back onto his knees. Black-green dots flashed in his visions. He moaned and slumped down. Abelard and Blaze settled down on either side on him, both knowing that they wouldn't be going anywhere soon, especially with a storm coming.

Halt gingerly touched his head. After a moment, he concluded that the Skandians, who had captured him opened up the wound again.

Sighing, Halt leaned his head against Abelard. His hand went down and rested on his smooth belt. That was when Halt jerked up again, despite his body's protest.

His double knife scabbard, which included his throwing knife and saxe, was gone. And come to think of it, so was his bow and quiver of arrows.

Slumping back down on Abelard, Halt pondered about his course of action. He had no supplies, no weapons, and no idea where he was, but he had to admit that the beach was oddly familiar.

Not being able to think due to the lack of energy he had, Halt shut his eyes for the well-deserved rest, he should have took in Araluen before he set out on his journey.

>>>------------->

It seemed that Halt had only blinked when fat droplets of rain started splattering on his face. He blinked his eyes open, wiping his face.

He slowly sat up, favoring his wound. Abelard neighed, helping him stand.

Halt groaned as spots started to appear. He started to fall back down, but Blaze caught him and helped him up Abelard's back.

"Thank you," Halt grunted as he tapped Abelard's sides with his heels. Being a ranger horse, Abelard immediately responded, trotting to seek shelter.

Halt groggily observed his surroundings. The beach really did look familiar. Trees surrounded the small strip of sand, and hills were scattered around.

Abelard settled down at the edge of the trees. As Halt slid off of his back, he instinctively reached his hand up behind his back, but soon realized that he didn't have anything.

He frustratingly slumped down against a tree and looked out to the horizon. The light was fading; night was coming.

"I'm in a mess, aren't I?" He murmured softly to the two horses beside him.

Silence.

Halt looked back at the two horses, to see that their ears were perked up. Abelard neighed in some sort of panic.

Halt quieted, and listened. It was too late when he heard the light steps of a person.

He started to stand but was too slow.

A women stepped into Halt's vision. Her long brown hair was braided, and her dark chocolate brown eyes were wide with shock. She was fairly beautiful, and Halt couldn't help but think that he recognized her.

"Halt?" Her soft voice echoed through his head.

Halt steadied himself on the tree he was leaning on. His eyes wide with both surprise and delight. "Caitlyn," he whispered.

A/N:

I'M SO SORRY FOR NOT POSTING YESTERDAY, BUT ONE OF MY BETA READERS WASN'T RESPONDING TO ME.

Very short chapter, I know. But I had to stop for the cliffhanger. I hope y'all remember who Caitlyn is from the book.

*SPOILER ALERT*

To those who don't remember: She's Halt's sister.