Chapter 29

Milo winced as Crow Man barged through the door. He already knew what was about to happen. It was time for their plan.

Elaine placed a hand on his shoulder and reassuringly squeezed it. "We'll be fine," she murmured. "It's Humphrey and Gilan who should be worried."

Crow Man's eyes swept across the kids before he forcefully ushered them out. The children automatically shifted into their two groups as they filed out. Milo softly grinned at their synchronization. It was satisfying.

Milo, Elaine, Gilan, and Humphrey stood at the front watching Crow Man start his speech. It started with the same chant.

"Pain! Yearning! Emotion! Peace!"

After a few moments of listening to Crow Man talk, Humphrey sighed. "He talks so much."

Elaine looked over at Humphrey. "You inherited it from him," she whispered as Crow Man pointed at Milo and a few other random kids to be the day's victims.

Milo stiffened as he was called, someone coming over to take him. Elaine grabbed his arm, eyes narrowed, waiting for Gilan's signal. The purple cloaked man came closer, and closer, and closer, and closer; he was in arm's reach. Elaine got ready to run, but her eyes slightly widened as there was no signal.

She let go of Milo as she spun around. "Gilan!" she gasped, shaking him, desperately trying to get him out of his trance. "Not now!"

"Elaine!" Milo yelped as the man grabbed him.

Elaine spun back around, and Humphrey burst forward and punched the man. Gilan, finally snapping out of it, looked around frantically before letting out a loud whistle.

The children shifted, the strongest, mostly boys, charging forward, fists clenched. Humphrey nodded and took the lead, Gilan the rear.

Elaine let out a breath before grabbing Milo and running. "Search the tents for anything useful!" she yelled, commanding the kids in their groups to get in their smaller groups and split up.

Milo and Elaine stood in the center of their clearing, watching their group run. They turned to face the fight. The children weren't doing so good with no weapons.

Elaine winced as she caught the face of a fallen child. Tears formed in her eyes, and Milo placed a hand on her shoulder. "C'mon, he softly murmured, also seeing the child. "We need to find some weapons."

Elaine nodded, leading the way to Crow Man's tent. Swishing the flap open, she looked around before walking in, Milo following. Together, they rummaged through Crow Man's things.

"Look here!" Milo called out, reaching for the gray hilt of a silver dagger. It had an intricate designs of leaves along the side of the blade, and it shined in the light. He looked back down in the chest he was searching before turning to Elaine. "Elaine?"

Elaine was kneeled down at another chest, looking down at a worn, leather notebook. "Hmm?" she murmured, flipping to the first page of the book, eyes immediately widening.

"What did you find?" he asked as she stood, eyes fixated on the scribbled words on the page.

Elaine looked up, closing the journal. "A journey," she answered. "His journal. The first page tells of his decision to leave." She paused. "To leave Humphrey."

Milo blinked, and the two stared at each other before Elaine regained leadership. "Was that all you found?"

Milo nodded, and Elaine sighed, taking the dagger. "Come on," she said. "A mere dagger won't be enough to escape."

>>>------------->

The strong scent of blood smelled metallic. The thick liquid trailed down Humphrey's nose and onto his lips, but it didn't phase him. He had seen blood before.

Humphrey ducked as a sword swung at him before kicking its wielder and seizing it for himself. Children fell all around him making him grit his teeth in frustration. "Get back!" he let out a yell, the kids immediately stumbling back as he held the massive cult back.

"You cannot fight them on your own, Humphrey," Gilan coughed as he pushed through the crowd of kids to help him.

"I can try," Humphrey replied. "And I will try if it means that they'll live."

Gilan sighed, having seen war before. You cannot save everyone!" he grunted as he punched someone. "Give me your sword!" Gilan suddenly cried out, jumping back as an axe swung at him.

Humphrey tossed his sword over to Gilan as he pushed himself into the crowd of purple cloaks. The other children were once again fighting, some with weapons.

"What are you doing?!" Gilan cried out, catching sight of Humphrey's red hair surrounded by the enemy. "You're going to kill yourself!"

Gilan suddenly gasped, falling on his knees. Raphael stood over him, wielding a battle axe.

"I knew you were trouble when I first took you from that pesky ranger," he growled as he lifted the massive axe. Gilan closed his eyes as it came down, and down, and down. But the final blow didn't come.

Opening one eye, Gilan found an arrow sticking out of Raphael's heart. His eyes widened as he looked back.

Four figures, with four horses stood at the edge of the clearing, one of the figures with a bow out. Tears filled Gilan's eyes as time slowed.

Halt.

A/N:

If I was a reader, I would've have screamed at the cliffhanger. I loved all of the father/son moments in the books, so having a cliffhanger before one happens is terrible.

Originally, this chapter would have came three chapters after the last chapter, but I decided not to go with my other idea because these children have already made a plan.

^.^ Vote?