Chapter 1

Gilan froze as he stepped on a stick. He peeked around a tree to see that Halt had stopped, and was looking almost straight at him. Gilan swung his head back behind the tree, and hoped that Halt didn't see him.

Gilan could hear Halt stopping. The leaves crunched as he dismounted. A few moments passed and Gilan smelled fire?

Gilan took a peek at Halt and found that Halt was cooking? But Halt wasn't any where to be seen. Who leaves fires unattended?

"What are you doing?"

Gilan spun around to find himself face with the ranger. "Uhh... Hi Halt."

Halt raised an eyebrow. "That didn't answer my question."

Gilan's face went red. "I-was-following-you-because-you-said-I-could-become-a-ranger-at-this-age-so-I-thought-I-could-follow-you-so-I-can-be-one." Gilan took a breath.

Halt took a minute to process his words. "You said the same thing twice."

Gilan turned redder, and Halt continued. "Come. After lunch, we go to Redmont." Halt walked to the fire and started to add some chicken into the stew, he was preparing.

"Y-you aren't going to take me back to my father?" Gilan stuttered.

"No. He knows your here."

"W-what?! How?"

"I told him myself."

"But how did you know?"

"Stop asking questions!" He snapped.

Gilan frowned. "Fine." He leaned against a tree and watched Halt prepare their meal.

After the two ate, Halt forced Gilan to run. Halt led the way on Abelard. "Hurry up!" Halt called. "We're almost there."

Gilan breathed heavily as he ran. He had ran for almost the whole day. "How much longer?" He huffed before tripping.

Halt shook his head slowly and pointed to a cabin. Gilan groaned as he stood up. He walked towards the cabin, trying to regain his breath.

By the time he reached the front door, Halt had already rubbed Abelard down. "Took you long enough." Halt grumbled, sipping a cup of coffee, that he had also made.

Gilan stood at the door and looked around the cabin. There was one big room with the kitchen, and two other ones, a bit smaller. Gilan guessed those were the bedrooms.

"Aren't you coming in?"

Gilan jumped, banging his head on the door frame. "Yeah, yeah." He muttered rubbing his head.

Halt pointed at the smaller of the two other rooms. It didn't have a door. "Your room."

Gilan nodded, and headed towards the room. He peeked inside. It was plain, but plain was good. Gilan didn't like all the fancy stuff his mother owned. The walls were a beige color, and the floor was brown. The only splash of color in the room was a vase filled with wild flowers on a white drawer. Gilan set his stuff down and looked at the door frame. He wanted a door.

Gilan looked around the room. There was a window and a small bed. He walked to the window and examined it. There was a bar where the curtains hung. Gilan shrugged. "That'll do." He said to himself.

Gilan yanked the bar out and squeezed it in between the frame of the door. He then looked at his bed. He didn't need the blanket. It wad the middle of the summer. Besides, if it gets cold, he could use the curtains.

Gilan removed the blanket and draped it on the bar. He smiled. It wasn't a door, but it worked the same way.

"What are you doing?" Halt asked seeing his makeshift door.

Gilan pushed the blanket aside and looked at Halt. "Unpacking."

Halt raised an eyebrow and looked back down at the report he was reading.

Gilan spent the rest of the afternoon unpacking. When it was almost time for supper, Halt decided to test Gilan's cooking skills.

Gilan had almost no skill in cooking. But Halt didn't know that. Gilan nervously served himself and Halt the soup he made, and decided to let Halt taste it before himself.

Halt drank a bit of the soup and immediately spewed it out of his mouth. "What is that?!!" He exclaimed.

"A soup." Gilan said, standing up, deciding to not try his own cooking.

Halt shook his head slowly in disgust. "You're cleaning that up."

With that, Halt went to the stove and poured himself some coffee to wash down the disgusting taste of Gilan's soup.

Gilan grinned and grabbed the mop and a bucket of water. "So... what will I be doing tomorrow."

Halt sipped his coffee and nodded at the mop he was holding. "Housework."

Gilan stopped what he was doing and turned to Halt. "HOUSEWORK?"

Gilan hated chores. He preferred to be training and exploring, or even studying. "I didn't know Rangers do housework." Gilan glumly muttered.

Halt raised an eyebrow at Gilan's sudden change of attitude, but said nothing.

Gilan then realized that his sword was still on his hip. "What about my sword?"

"Finally," Halt muttered. "A useful question. You will be going back to train in Caraway every other week."

Gilan nodded slowly, and set the mop and bucket in the corner. "All right. BUT I'm not running back."

A/N:

What do y'all think? I need criticism. Good? Bad? Did I get the characters down correctly? Or do I need work?

I'm sure I need work on Halt, but what about Gilan?

Please help.