Thirty-Four••You Must Fix This

Lexa's cold but calm demeanor didn't waver as Valnia related to her all that Melaynia told them. Her gray eyes retained their serious, solemn air, making Valnia more uncomfortable than ever in her supervisor's presence.

Lexa rose from her seat and blinked. "Well... at this point we must bring her to the Monsters again. Only they can be certain whether or not she's lying. If... she stands close to them, they might sense something foreign in her without having to dig into her brain. It's a rare power, and a long shot, but... it's the only way. If she's playing some sick game, if she's not on our side... she's a danger. And if she's wasting time, she's a danger, too."

With a gulp, Valnia spun to her sister, who had turned pale; paler than earlier. "Mel?"

"They'll say I'm lying, you know that," said Melaynia, her voice frail, fearful. "They've hated me from the moment I arrived. There's no way they'll listen to me. I tried, remember? So evacuate. Don't wait for their order. Trust me, please!"

Lexa rolled her eyes and huffed. "That's exaggerated speculation."

"It is." Valnia winced, hating to side with her boss over her sister; but it was true. She kneeled at Melaynia's side. "They don't hate you, but they don't trust you. Can you blame them? You've caused a lot of trouble, and you're about to cause more if this is true. Lexa's right; the only means to be sure is for them to get a good whiff of you. Then we'll know. That won't trigger the bomb, and from there on we'll strategize."

Lexa's face softened for the briefest of moments. "Well said, Valnia."

Melaynia slammed her eyelids shut, groaned, crossed her arms. "Fine." With a deep inhale she opened her eyes; they were a glittering green, filled with regret and worry. "But don't say I didn't warn you."

Wylan and Valnia helped her up, and Lexa led the way once more down the deserted corridors to the Monster rooms. Valnia had grown so accustomed to the journey that she might have been able to do it blindfolded.

At the door, Lexa halted them. "Wait here. They might not be available."

Valnia bit her lip. "That's true; they were going to consult with the others..."

"I'll summon them, but..." Lexa sighed as she pushed the door open, "this won't please them. It might be a game-changer... I have to warn them." She slid into the area.

The Monsters were supposed to be in the tunnels, digging towards the Impians. Who knew how far they'd gotten, how close to a potential trap—or how close to success.

Mel... knows more than she claims, she has to.

Minutes, maybe hours passed before Lexa returned. She took hold of Melaynia. "They want to speak to her alone, first. I'm not even allowed in, this time." She helped Melaynia squeeze into the obscure chambers, then sealed the door behind her.

Valnia didn't want to let her out of her sight. "Wait—"

Lexa wagged a finger in her face. "No. I'm done arguing with you. Obey me, for once, would you?" She pushed Valnia aside. "You've made it clear your sister is your priority, not your planet. I was wrong about you. If we make it through all this... I'll consider a pardon, but in the meantime... you're on my blacklist, Valnia. I don't want to hear your excuses or apologies. Be quiet."

Valnia's jaw dropped, and she smacked it closed as Wylan pulled her close to him. He nodded in understanding, and Lexa's glare didn't appear so glacial towards him as she spun away from them both.

"Give her time," he said, rubbing Valnia's arm.

"But what if we don't have time?" She tore from him and wrinkled her nose. "What if we need to all be allies now? Be on the same page now?"