Six••A Little Bit Of The Truth

The information Melaynia found on the Forbidden Side was as confusing as the mysteries surrounding the Ceremony and the Eldians. Conflicting reports, outrageous theories—but nothing official, even among the oldest scrolls. Some said the area became restricted to protect humans from its harsh climate. Others claimed something hid in there. And more still stated the Eldians lost control over that portion of the planet and made it illegal.

Each paragraph she uncovered was so hard to read that she wondered who had written such words. One thing remained clear—no one was authorized in the Forbidden Side, not even Cerulean officials or Attendants. And these Attendants—secretive Ceruleans with masked faces, direct links to the Monsters, and fierce bodyguards—usually had access to everything.

The author of the last text she read mentioned how they knew the truth of the Forbidden Side, but were sworn to secrecy.

So odd... nothing makes sense.

She also discovered the Ceremonial Place—where the Sacrifice happened—was directly connected to the Underground Lair, where the Monsters resided. It was rumored anyone seeking answers might want to wander there... and listen.

"The souls of the sacrificed will reply, give guidance, offer counsel to those requesting assistance."

She didn't believe in spirits, but she wondered if venturing to the Place—she was on the Island, anyway—would be beneficial. If anything, it'd be a fun tale to offer to Quincy once she got home.

Exiting the row she'd kneeled in, she peered left and right, as had become her habit; but she saw no one on alert, scrambling about in search of a missing badge.

I'm still safe, but I shouldn't linger.

She spun into the next aisle, but here the texts were encrypted in some foreign language she didn't know existed. Huffing, she leaned against a shelf and went over what she'd learned.

The planet's Rotation Halt and Sacrificial Ceremony were likely linked; the Monsters concealed bitter truths about the Forbidden Side; the Impians were the Eldian's brothers, but their location was unknown; and the method for choosing the sacrificed teenager remained a mystery.

Great—I came all this way for that?

Valnia's journal entry had only been a coincidence. And if there was more to it, no one documented it. All were too afraid to share what they'd discovered.

Tense and desperate for a soak in warm water to clear her thoughts, she snuck out of the somehow deserted Restricted Zone, flashing her badge at both guards. She slithered into the washroom, deposited the ID where she had found it, returned the uniform into the EMPLOYEES ONLY locker room, and wobbled to the main entrance.

Before pushing the doors, she pivoted for one last peek at the enormous area, its bustling employees, its curious visitors. Disappointment filled her chest, infested the oxygen in her lungs.

National Public Library, you gave me nothing aside from a hint on Impians.

A nagging sound drew her from her reverie; she twisted to spot him again—that blasted door attendant.

"I hope you found what you were looking for!" he said, a little too cheerful for her taste.

"I did—but not what I hoped," she muttered, walking away from the confused man.

The fresh air smacked into her cheeks as she marched to her carriage. "I'm not done." She slid into the driver's seat. "I'll test that stupid soul theory, first."