Chapter Five: One For All, And All For One

Start from the beginning

"I don't know why," I said honestly, feeling a bit embarrassed. "I just- I just didn't want us to be seen together. It's already bad enough that we went to the party together in front of the whole school. But now that we are in school, it's best we avoid each other."

"And why should we do that?" Bennett asked.

"It's because we have popularity statuses to begin with," I told them. "You guys are more popular than me. Just being seen next to me is dropping your statuses by the minute. I just thought that if we just were seen together at school, it'll be alright."

Jordan snorted. "That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard."

"Well, it isn't," I said hotly. "That's not the only reason I'm avoiding you. I never had friends before, okay?" I snapped, making them flinch in surprise. "So don't blame me if I don't know what to do with this friend thing. Do we walk to classes? Do we hang out? Do we eat together in lunch? I just don't know."

They were all silent for a moment.

"I'm sorry, Naomi," Jordan said, lowering his head in embarrassment. "I shouldn't have said that."

I crossed my arms and looked away. "Well... whatever. It's alright, I guess."

"How about this?" Bennett said. "We just do whatever seems right to you. You don't have to worry what it's like to be a friend with someone. It really comes to you naturally when being with friends."

"Yeah," Jordan agreed, ruffling my hair in my annoyance. "I mean... when we first met each other, we hated each other's guts."

Really?" I asked in surprised. "Then how come you're friends now?"

He shrugged. "Let's just say we were forced to under certain "circumstances", and we later became pretty close." He paused and smiled back at his friends who wore the same smile. "But that's another story."

"Okay," I said. Then I looked down at my imaginary watch. "Well, look at the time." I turned around on my heel and began to walk away. "I should be going to my next-"

Once again, I felt another tug on my collar, having me drag back to them.

"Nuh-uh-uh," Jordan said in sing-song. "Friends don't avoid each other unless they did something unspeakable. Then you should avoid them if you value your life."

"Yeah, like losing their earphones," Declan offered.

"Yeah, like losing their-" Jordan looked at Declan in surprise. "Wait, what?"

Declan shrugged innocently. "One moment it was there, the next it was gone."

"You said I must have misplaced it," Jordan said.

"Well it was really me that misplaced it. You should have just changed the pronouns, I guess."

"Why you little-" Jordan was about to jump Declan when Bennett grabbed the back of his collar and pulled it, making Jordan crash backwards onto the ground.

"Guys, no fighting," Bennett said. "Especially when-" He paused and looked around. "Wait, where's Naomi?"

But I was long gone.

-

I was able to successfully avoid the boys the whole day. The last two periods were tricky of course, given I had Jordan for fifth period, chemistry and Declan for sixth period, P.E. But we girls have a natural excuse for skipping class that Mother Nature gave us...

The time of the month.

Thanks to this, we are able to skip class if we feel even a little cramp. Of course, it isn't really my time of the month, but no one has to know that, much less want to check if I'm lying or not. I'm supposed to be in P.E right now, but with my excuse, I was in the nurse's office, but not for another bully-made bruise. I have service as an elective, meaning I usually am an assistant to any of the offices, doing the boring work like filing, sweeping, that sort of thing. I'm usually stationed in the nurse's office with Mrs. Matthews, a pretty nice lady. This isn't the first time I've done this sort of thing. But she doesn't mind this. She's just happy she has some company.