21|SIMILAR SHAPES

More than

The outline of faint visionaries haunt my eyes as I exit my car and sit on a park bench shaded by a large oak tree

My mind overflowed with memories overlapping like a replayed tune.  The time slows to thin numbers while I wait upon minutes for the empty seat beside me to be filled. My gaze goes afloat into a blur as thoughts seep into the line of trees.

"Star gazer caught in the act of becoming her own star." Sever sits on the empty gap of the park bench.

My eyebrows furrow in confusion and curiosity. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Sever bites the inside of his cheek, placing his words into another bundle of metaphors. "Sometimes we paint muses, wanting to be the muse. You're morphing into the sights you admire."

"Okay, modern philosopher." I ease a small smile of amusement. "As much as I'd want to hear your verbal essay on metaphorical observations, I'm in need of your subpar advice."

"I'm honored," Sever mockingly puts a hand on his heart. "I find it interesting that you, someone who gets paid to give advice and guidance, is requesting for my help."

"I'm in a desperate need for empathy, Sever." I shrug nonchalantly. "If I have to carry along this conversation of slightly bitter sarcasm to receive your decent perspective, then it's what I'll do."

"You're lucky Winsley loves you," He gave me a lopsided smile. "Or else I wouldn't have come."

"I think we both know why we don't get along," I gave him a knowing look. "It's because we're too similar."

Sever slightly nods in agreement, diverting his eyes to the structure of the colorful playground enclosed in sand. "Can't argue with you there, Vexer. It's the unfortunate truth."

"So," I clasp my hand. "Relay your guide on being a better person."

Sever raises an eyebrow in question. "Is that what this is about? I can't tell you how to become a better person, Cleo."

I pout stubbornly. "Why not?"

"Because the way I deal with life is going to be different than how you'll want to deal with yours." He said sternly.

"But you agreed with me," I countered. "We're one in the same. I want to know how you were able to live a happier life."

Sever shakes his head at my confusion. "We are more than 2D shapes. Just because we act similarly, doesn't make me an instructional guide you can follow. I'm sorry, but I can't give you the advice you're looking for."

"It was Winsley though, wasn't it?" I had made it sound more or a statement than a question. "She makes you happy."

He sighs. "I think you're misunderstanding the point." Sever straightened his posture. "Yes, Winsley really does make me happy, but I also don't depend on her to be the only reason for it. Happiness is just a feeling that cannot be forced. You can't slap on rules to your emotions and call it a day."

My stare shifts to the ongoing forest of vibrant trees. "I just want to be happy, to fill an empty hole in my heart."

"Then go find the missing pieces, Vexer." My head turns to meet Sever's eye. "You can't get any sunlight if you keep living in the shadows."

"Thank you, Sever." A genuine smile crosses the edges of my lips.

Sever surprises me when he pulls me into a comforting hug. "You're a star hidden among the billion.  Stop getting lost for the sake of being lost."

I pull away from the hug, shifting my angle on the bench. "You don't have to make me feel special.  I know I'm not the greener side of the grass."

Sever smiles knowingly, understandingly. "But you are."