10|RED LANTERNS

Light of the

Warm lights greeted me as we started to walk amongst the crowd of Chinatown

"Any particular reason for choosing Chinatown?" I tugged Caslon's hand.

I then realized we were still holding hands.

"I felt like it was a good place to wonder at night." Caslon's hazel eyes reflect the array of lights strung above us.

"You deserve a break, Cleo." He moved his stare to look at me. "I see the stress that you undergo sometimes, even though you try not to seem tired."

"Thank you." I held his gaze. "I may be a total pessimist, but at least I can see the good in something for once."

Caslon gave me a warm smile before speeding his walk and guiding my hand along with him.

"Now come on," He tilted his head towards the depths of Chinatown. "Have an adventure with me."

The remainder of the night was filled with the taste faint culture and the memory of pure bliss.

I loved that I was able to feel free under the distant outline of stars. I can't remember through all my entire history of relationships, a single moment quite like this night.

After dinner and stopping by a few shops, we walked about Chinatown, agreeing to stop when one of our knees go weak.

"And then after he broke Sicily's heart, I covered him in green paint and hot pink glitter at homecoming - to remind you - was an event where he brought another date." I relayed the story of how I ruined a boy's ego at the school's homecoming dance.

Caslon's laugh ringed through my ears. "That is a classic brilliance."

"I told you." I shrugged my shoulders. "You don't mess with Cleo Vexer when she's out on a vengeance."

"I'll make note of that." He joked.

I playfully punched him in the shoulder, laughing lightly alongside him.

"Thank you, Caslon." I said once again as our laughter died. "I know I keep saying it like a broken record but I really do appreciate this. It's the most fun I've had in a long time."

We both bask in a moment of peace. I tilt my head to gaze at the beautiful line of red lanterns scattered throughout every corner.

I then turn my head to Caslon, but he's already looking at me.

"I'm glad you enjoyed the surprise." He smiles joyously. "To be honest, I was worried of the fact that this entire night was wagering on if you liked dim sum or not."

I chuckle, feeling the airy flutter escape my lips.

"So why me?  A graffiti criminal, mediocre pessimist, experienced test dummy at relationships." I listed, shifting my eyes to look in front of me. "What makes me seem like your definition of fun?"

Caslon's hazel eyes pierced mine; I could hear the tempo of my heartbeat.

"Because you have an unworn pair of shoes in your heart."

"I'm sorry." I blinked. "What?"

Caslon let another laugh escape his lips, his gaze wondering the night sky.

"Vex, you have an empty pair of shoes in your heart." He pauses before smiling once again. "Shoes that one day I hope to fill."