Chapter 12

Surprisingly, my time with the Denalis have been...fun, you could say. I mean, obviously the first couple of days I was cautious around them, even more so when they would hand me bottles of human blood. They told me though that they had a friend in the doctor area who was willing to hand some blood over much to the limited information given to him. It was a...nice thing for the doctor to do. That's when I started to realise that Denalis aren't so bad...

I got more comfortable as time went on; since there had been no signs of Maria or her newborns anywhere in the area. I was more willing to share more about myself to them and vice versa. They were amazed at the many things I have witnessed in a short amount of time as a vampire and were bewildered when I showed them the old fragile book that held knowledge of us. Eleazer especially had fun reading the book and helped them understand my situation.

They were all excited for the baby to come, since it has been many years since they've been near one, and it couldn't help but remind me of my friends, Peter and Charlotte - and my mate, Jasper. I remembered how excited they were, and even were planning to steal some books to read on how to deliver a baby. A giant force of guilt came at me at the revelation, but it was hard to be sad around the Denalis; they were very bright people - the most positive bunch I have been around since...ever. It took me off guard since all I've felt around me was anger, lust, hunger, and pain. The only time I felt peace or happiness was the rare times I had with Jasper alone, or with Peter and Charlotte.

Seeing the Denalis so happy made me have hope; hope that everything isn't as bad as it seems and that everything will turn out fine in the end.

Of course, I still cry from time to time from missing my two friends and Jasper and cry in worry for our child's future, but I still had to have hope that everything would be okay. The Denalis have been nothing but kind, surely there are others like them - like their doctor friend. Hopefully, I'll meet this doctor in the future...

Time passed, and before I knew it, it was time to have my child. It was a normal day with the Denali coven; I was spending time outside in the snow alone and at peace with nature when I felt a hard kick in my abdomen that sent me on my knees out of breath. And that's when I felt it...

"Carmen!" I called out worriedly. "Eleazer!" They appeared at my side on their knees, arms wrapped around me protectively.

"I'm guessing the baby wants to come?" Eleazer joked lightly. My wince and groan was his answer. "Okay, let's get you inside."

Eleazer carried me inside their home while Carmen flitted about, clearing away our path while ordering the sisters on what to do.

"Kate, get the towels and utensils ready. Irina, get the bed ready. Tanya, call Carlisle for Eleazer to help him with the delivery."

Eleazer lowered me onto the clean bed Irina made for me, Carmen flitting to me and helping me remove my pants and shoes and socks. The sisters shortly left until it was just Eleazer, Carmen and I, not before Tanya handed Eleazer a phone that no doubt had their doctor friend.

While Carmen helped me get adjusted, Eleazer was talking lowly on the phone, for the first time looking very concentrated and determined. Soon he hung up on the phone and moved in front of me, giving me a small nod of assurance. "Don't worry, Melanie," he comforted, "everything will be okay."

"Thank you," I whimpered, squeezing Carmen's hand when a contraction hit me. She winced at my strength but continued to comfort me throughout the process. Twelve hours later, a beautiful baby boy was born. When Eleazer gave me my child after making sure he was okay, tears escaped my eyes when I saw the uncanny resemblance between him and his father. I just knew he was going to be a miniature version of Jasper. He already had his dark brown eyes when he was a human...