Chapter 4

For the past couple of weeks, we would keep to our schedule together; train the newborns, go to the woods to hunt for some privacy where we can be ourselves and be mates, and then climb to the highest tree and just relax. Sometimes Maria would give us suspicious looks, but whenever that happens we immediately put up the act of being just friends - even going as far as to say to each other, "You're such an annoying sibling" or something crazy. Anything to get her off our backs.

But even our new friend, Peter, sent us suspicious looks like he knew we were more than just friends from our human days. At one point he suggested out loud if we were possibly mates due to our closeness, and Maria had heard and sent us withering gazes, looking ready to kill us. Luckily Jasper was able to convince him - and Maria who was obviously listening to us - that we were merely just friends and almost siblings. We even went far as to avoid one another for a few days to get them off track. It was the most painful days of my life.

We've been busier lately, as the time was almost coming for Maria to overtake territories and so she wanted us to train and be at our best, now that she was confident with the number in our army. Maria would pull Jasper away into her tent due to his knowledge in wars and help her create plans, but I knew that wasn't the only reason she pulled him into that tent privately.

Jasper had confided in me one day that Maria was trying to make it seem like they were mates, to no avail. Jasper was a gentleman, and very loyal. He would never betray me - due to his morals and the fact that we were actually mates. It annoyed Maria very much when he would reject her and would send me glares when she sees Jasper and I enjoying each other's company. It was a good thing she didn't have the ability to feel one's emotions otherwise she would have felt how smug I was seeing her not get what she wants for the first time. I knew all along that she found him attractive when she first saw him, it's hilarious to think that she can't get him.

"We need to be more careful now, with Maria being very moody recently and getting suspicious over us," I told him as we relaxed on top of a tree after a long night, waiting for the Sun to rise. Jasper made a humming noise from behind me, pressing a chaste kiss to my shoulder, his arms tightening around my waist.

"Agreed. She's become suspicious the more I reject her moves." Jasper mused. I scoffed, rolling my eyes at our creator's stubbornness. "And our dear friend Peter...he's so curious about us no matter how much we try to convince him."

"Should we tell him?" I suggested, turning my head slightly to gauge his reaction. His lips were pursed, looking to the sunrise thoughtfully. Eventually, he looked down at me with a small smile.

"Soon, but not now," he answered. "We have a war to prepare for." My content faded away at the reality of his words. His first vampire war was coming soon, and I was worried.

Jasper startled me out of my thoughts by easily lifting me in the air and turning me so I was now straddling his lap. He stared at me concerned. "What's wrong, Darlin'? I can feel your worry."

"What if something bad happens in the war?" I whispered to him. "What if one of us die?" Jasper shook his head, cupping my face to plant kisses all over my face.

"We are not going to die, I won't allow it," he said sternly. "Besides, you've had experience in this area, you're good at fighting. Peter and I are almost as good as you. We are going to be fighting against kids, remember." I smiled slightly when he referred the newborns as kids since they acted and fought like one. It was a small inside joke between Jasper, Peter, and I.

"I know that we can fight," I agreed, "but still. There's still that possibility and if you die...I may as well die alongside with you." I looked down at my lap so I didn't have to see his reaction. His hold on my hips tightened, a small choked noise escaping his lips.