Chapter 10

As days passed, Peter and Charlotte have come to the conclusion that the area was safe, and they allowed me to leave their cabin for a while – to their back garden, that is. I didn't mind, it wasn't like I had anywhere to go, and their garden looked to need some assistance to bloom. So that's where I was most of the time while waiting for Jasper's presence, tending to their garden. One night as I was in the garden, a certain scent crept into my senses. I looked up sharply, analysing the trees around us. Charlotte, who was assisting me, saw my sudden change in behaviour and flitted to my side. "Melanie, what's wrong?" Peter opened the back door and looked to us panicked.

"Inside both of you, I recognise that scent!" he ordered. Charlotte helped me up, and quickly we rushed inside.

"Peter, who is it –"

"It's Maria," I told her, pacing in their small cabin frustrated. "Damnit, I led them here!" I looked to them apologetically. "I'm sorry, Peter, Charlotte..."

"It's not your fault, sugar, it's Maria's for being so stupid," Peter said jokingly, flitting around the room to pack the small necessities I had. I noticed he wasn't packing anything for him and his mate. Charlotte handed me the precious book they found and the old bear, helping me put on a coat. The newborns were coming closer, and we wouldn't have the time to outrun them.

"We're trapped," I said dreadfully.

"Don't worry, there's an exit," Peter assured me, leading me to their kitchen. Peter opened the large pantry they had, revealing nothing but a dark passageway. I gaped at the sight. How did I not notice this? I mean, it's not like we used the kitchen anyway...

"Quickly, you go first!" Charlotte encouraged, following after me with Peter at the tail. Before I knew it, Charlotte lifted me into her arms, and away we ran from our used to be safe home. Just as we escaped the cabin, the sound of the place getting broken in could be heard as well as the familiar snarls of newborns. They were too late.

I don't know how long we ran, but the next thing I knew we came across another door, Peter opening it for us to reveal another house. When Charlotte lowered me to a nearby chair I glanced around, soon finding where we were. "We're in Philadelphia?" I turned to them surprised. "And you have another house?"

"You'd be amazed at what you can do in two years away from camp," Peter winked. So that's why he didn't bother to pack anything for him and Charlotte. "This is where you are going to be staying while we're gone."

"What?" I frowned. "Where are you going?"

"We're gonna cover our tracks," Charlotte explained, handing me some prepared blood in a cup.

"And after that, we're gonna go after Jasper," Peter added. I perked up at his statement.

"Really?"

"I think it's time we get that fella away from the crazy Maria," Peter shrugged. "I know you said he would come when he's able to, but let's help him find that opportunity, shall we?"

"Wouldn't Jasper have been with the newborns when they attacked the cabin?" Charlotte suddenly wondered. I shook my head.

"I didn't smell him," I answered, "and knowing Maria, she probably had this done secretly without him knowing." I sighed begrudgingly, nodding to my dear friend. "Go. Save him from that hell hole."

"Yes, Ma'am." Saying their farewells, they made their leave which left me alone. With my thoughts.

I was endangering Peter and Charlotte by staying here, Maria already detested the two for leaving without her knowing, so if she knew they were holding me...it wouldn't be nice. I needed to leave. With the still packed bag beside my chair, I searched the room for some pen and paper. When I found the objects I started my letter.

To Peter and Charlotte.
I am sorry about my abrupt leave, but I must go before you guys get into more danger from Maria. She was mad enough that the two of you escaped if she had her grasp on you and found out you were helping me...it wouldn't have been good.

I know you guys were excited to meet the little one, and so I am sorry that you guys won't get this opportunity. I'm sorry, but I just want you guys to be safe. Tell Jasper I love him very much and I won't forget him, ever. When he can, tell him to come and find me. I'll be waiting for him.

I'll miss you both.

Love,
Melanie

After folding it in half and writing their name on the back, I grabbed the second piece of paper and started the letter to my love.

To my love,
I am sorry that I'm not here. I left before you came, but I cannot bring Peter and Charlotte to any more harm because of me. You know how Maria is.

In case you weren't told, we were ambushed by some of Maria's newborns last night. It made me realise how close we were to death, and the danger I brought.

I know you gave me the bear to remember you, but I want you to keep it as a reminder of me and our child. Don't worry, I made sure to have it with me at all times so it reeks of my scent.

I'm still keeping to my promise for marriage, all you have to do is find me when you can. I just needed to leave and go somewhere where Maria can't find me. I'll wait for you, I promise.

I love you, Jasper Whitlock, don't forget that.

Yours dearly,
Melanie Ann Taylor (soon-to-be Whitlock) xoxo

I wiped a stray tear away before it could fall onto his letter, folding the note tenderly and making sure to write his name as elegantly as possible. After grabbing some blood supplies and my bag, I opened the front door as silently as I could, looking at the surroundings around me. Deeming it safe, I walked out of the safe house and ran, leaving for good.

I made sure to remind myself why I was doing this and ignore the want to rush back to the safe house. I was doing this for Peter and Charlotte's safety, for my family, my child, and for my mate Jasper. Everything was for them.