Chapter 6

After months of nonstop newborn wars, today was finally the day. The day we all dreaded. Jasper and Peters deathnot if I can stop it. So while the two men were distracted, I made my way to Maria's tent. When I entered, Maria lifted her head from looking at her future plans, raising an eyebrow at me. I bowed to her respectfully.

"Melanie," she mused, sitting upright, "it's not common for you to come to me when you usually go to Peter...and Jasper."

"That's why I came, actually, Ma'am," I mumbled, standing straighter than I ever had, head held high. My hands were crossed over my front, showing that all my attention was on her and I was serious. "It's been almost a year now, for Jasper and Peter. So I...want to send in a request, if you may."

"You want me to spare Jasper and Peter from death." she deadpanned. I did not waver. "Give me a reason why I should listen to you."

"Jasper and Peter have extraordinary fighting skills than other newborns, and all three of us make an exceptional team when in battle. Peter is quite advanced in the combat skills, that I think he shouldn't be put to waste after a year. He knows almost all the moves newborns would do that it sometimes makes me think he has the gift for knowing what their opponent's next move is going to be in a fight."

"Okay, I understand," she nodded thoughtfully, "and what about...Jasper?"

"For one, his gift in manipulating one's emotions," I said automatically. "With both of us, we are able to control the newborn's emotions to focus in battle and even stray the enemies attention to give us a chance to kill them. Moreover, his war knowledge of battle; he knows how to plan them efficiently and successfully due to his past experience in the human's Civil War. He knows hand to hand combat as well as vampire fighting and is an exceptional fighter. As well as his newborn strength and speed seem to maintain rather than disappear like it would after a year of being a newborn." I let out a breath I didn't realise I held, analysing her face after I showed her my side of the story. She kept her face blank, staring at me as I stared back at her. The air around us was so stiffening and intense you could put a crazy newborn in here and it would back away in surrender.

"So..." she broke our gaze to look down at her table thoughtfully. "You want me to spare two more vampires in my army." I almost winced at her bite. She was very specific on who she wanted in the coven, she wanted the best of the best and the idea of having three vampires past the newborn stage was not part of her plan.

"I truly believe having Jasper and Peter saved would be the best for your army." I insisted nonetheless. "You have seen us in a battle for the past year, we are unstoppable to the enemies. And the gifts I have gathered during this year" I trailed off. From having just a gift that shows and projects history, detect other's gifts, and Jasper's, I have now collected the gift to mask my scent and presence, as well as control objects and living things to my will. I was the most powerful vampire to exist in the area.

"Exactly, you have all the power I need," she stated. I frowned.

"But -"

"But you're also right," she cut me off, "I see the three of you work well together, furthermore you are correct, Jasper is vital to my plans."

"And Peter?"

"I'll allow him to live as repayment for you saving me earlier this year." she waved off. I nodded in relief, bowing to her to make my leave. "But Melanie?" I turned back to her. "This is the last time I'll allow a newborn to live past their expectancy. You being powerful doesn't change anything between us. I am still your leader."

When I made my exit, I saw Jasper and Peter off to the distance, looking restless. As soon as I walked out of the tent, their gazes went to me, eyes showing relief. The two of them pulled me into tight hugs, glad that I was alive and not dead as they thoughtidiots.