Chapter 9

It took a while, but eventually, I found Peter and his mate, and a reunion that was. As soon as I lowered my gift, Peter and Charlotte came out of their small cabin looking cautious and ready to fight me. That quickly changed when they saw I was alone and looking quite miserable.

I explained to them hurriedly about Jasper and my situation, and immediately Peter took me in. Charlotte was reluctant, however, seeing as Jasper and I were close to killing her if it wasn't for Peter. I didn't really care at that point; I just wanted to be with Jasper once and for all and just make a new start in life.

However, after I explained everything to the two, they never allowed me outside their cabin in fear for my health, so when they go hunting, they made sure to give me some blood they stored in a bottle. But during that time Charlotte eventually warmed up to me, realising I was just as normal as her and Peter, just a bit damaged from what I've experienced. "I have been a vampire a lot longer than you," I had told her during our time we got to know one another, "I have seen things that you would run away from. Sorry that I may seem a bit detached."

Despite the fact that we didn't know how my pregnancy was going to turn out, we were all excited about when the baby comes. Peter was convinced that the baby was going to look like Jasper, but have my strong personality as well as gifts. But even though I had a lovely company and I felt normal for the first time in years, I still felt lonely without Jasper. The only thing to remember him from was the engagement ring and the bear that still smelt faintly of him. I found it cute that out of all the things he got from his home, he brought along the old bear that he had when he was a child. But I'm glad he did; our child now had something to remember their father.

I dread to think about what Jasper is going through; he probably revealed to her by now that I have run away. She probably punished him somehow, and he's probably suffering a lot more now than usual and it terrified me. Would he be able to make it out on time or would it be too late for him? At that new revelation, my mood worsened. The thought that my mate was suffering caused me to suffer as well, and it was concerning Peter and Charlotte.

I would stay in the guest bedroom looking out at the window, in the forest surrounding us. I didn't move unless I needed blood, and I wouldn't participate in any conversations the two would try to bring me in. I just wanted Jasper back before it was too late. I want him to escape before it's too late. I just want to be with him and save his soul before it's too late.

One day, while Peter and Charlotte left to go hunting, my mood shifted abruptly. From feeling numb and miserable, I now felt myself disappearing from my surroundings and a blackness taking over my sight. I lowered my hands to my stomach protectively just before my sight was gone and I felt like I was falling.

I don't know how long I was out for, but by the time I came around Peter and Charlotte were towering over my laid out form on the bed, looking very concerned. I frowned at them in confusion. "What happened?" I asked them.

"Uh..." Peter mumbled. I motioned for him to continue. "You have another being living inside you, to put it simply."

"What!" I sat up quickly at the news, immediately feeling dizzy and overwhelmed from the sudden movement. They quickly helped me steady myself. "What are you on about?"

"Her name's Melody," Charlotte explained uneasily, "and she's the alter ego of you..."

"The reason why you blacked out was that she took over your mind and body," Peter continued, "when we came back to the cabin you - well, Melody - had a human and just finished devouring him. After the shock, Melody explained that the reason why she existed was because of your depression; it created her."

"She's the opposite of you," Charlotte spoke up, "she's like...the scary side of you."

"Did she hurt you?" I replied quickly. They shook their heads much to my relief.