Chapter 8

If a bird does not learn to fly, they are left behind to fend for themselves. In reality, it is only a test to force them to learn fast.

A few more weeks had past and it was time to leave the hospital. Kageyama's ribs had healed and therapy helped him gain the muscle strength to walk again. Hinata was vibrating with excitement but kept it down so he didn't venture away from his setter.

It was the first time Kageyama had been outside in months. His milky pale skin was shining in the sun and the cool breeze from an incoming cold front was blowing through his black locks on the top of his head. Overall, the stark difference in his hair and skin caused goosebumps on Hinata's skin.

His once tan skin from playing volleyball outside, was gone. The skin, despite being healthy, reminded Hinata of Kageyama's unconscious body in the hospital bed. To him, it was sickly.

Hinata stared at his nape. Milky white.

"You know... I may not be able to see, but I can still feel your eyes burning a hole through my head." Kageyama turned around till he saw an orange patch in the field of black.

"I was just thinking that you drink too much milk. You know the saying. You are what you eat!" Hinata bounced around trying to hide the blush that grew on his cheeks and neck. Despite Kageyama not being able to see it, Hinata tried desperately to hide his face.

They had gotten Kageyama checked out and grabbed his cane from the front desk and started heading towards the car Hinata's mom had drove to pick the boys up and bring them to their home. Since Kageyama's parents were never home, they decided to care for him in their stead. However, half way through the short walk, Kageyama froze.

"Hinata? Where are you? I- I can't see your hair and I can't feel where I am. It's too dark despite the heat on my face. I don't know where I am anymore. Where-" Hinata cut him off by grabbing the hand unoccupied by the cane.

"I'm right here. There's no need to worry." He stopped in front of Kageyama using his other hand to grab Kageyama's other arm, halting them both in their tracks.

"Can you see me now?"

Milky eyes searched all over until they hit orange. Suddenly, the dark surroundings were bright again and a calm feeling surged through Kageyama.

"I can. I can see you."

Hinata turned around, keeping his hand in Kageyama's, and stayed in front making sure his hair was always in view. If not for Hinata's mind revolving around the boy behind him, he may not of heard the soft apology that came out of the other's mouth.

Hinata froze but kept going anyways. He wasn't used to this side of Kageyama and wasn't sure if he like it or not. He seemed too... Fragile.

He was used to his tall teammate who always challenged him, always called him names, and always rose to a challenge. Not the man who needed to hold another's hand and whispered his words instead of screaming them out.

A car door woke them from their trance.

"Alright boys! Let's get your stuff in the trunk and get Kageyama in the car- HINATA GET THE DOOR!" Hinata's mom roared with... enthusiasm? It was something wild and energetic but most of all it was loud. Her voice projected so much that Hinata was quiet compared to her.

Hinata rushes over to open the trunk and lift the luggage into the back of the car. He then sprinted over to open the car door for his mom and over to Kageyama and opened the passenger side door for him. He watched as Kageyama attempted to get in the car by feeling around and bumping things. Hinatas smile fell.

Every time he saw his friend struggle he was hit in the gut with guilt. This was his fault. His stupid head got them into this mess and didn't know how to get them out. Kageyama may be able to see his hair but it felt more like a sick and twisted joke than anything. A miracle the doctors said. Hope. All Hinata felt was gut wrench and sorrow.

If only it was me who was hit by the car. Maybe then he'd be safe and I could end up being kill- "HINATA BOKE!"

Hinata's head shot up from the familiar statement only to find himself with a hand in the setter's hair and one on his shoulder.

Red filled his complexion and steam came out of his ears. "GAH! I'm so sorry I didn't even notice I was helping you or touching you and I guess I did that without thinking but I was worried you'd hit your head and-" Hinata stopped at the sight before him.

"K-Kageyama?" He muttered. "Are... are you okay?"

The once blue eyes were wide and starring down at the floor. Rimmed with red they spoke all Hinata needed to know. Kageyama was scared.

I hope everyone is doing well with Corona! If anyone is feeling anxious, depressed, or just needs someone to talk to- feel free to let me know! I care about each and every one of you and I want to make sure your mental health is staying strong! Hang in there lovelies!❤️❤️